Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Female Body in the Study of Esotericism
03-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Lecture – Georgia van Raalte
In this provocative lecture Georgia van Raalte sets a challenge to the emerging academic discipline of Esotericism, looking at how scholars of that field have treated the female body and female bodily experience. She argues that is is consistently erased and moreover, that the lacuna has been unchallenged. She covers a range of examples, starting with the treatment of women in the study of mediumship and mesmerism, focussing on Friederike Hauffe. Female alchemists — and their erasure — is also considered, picking up on the work of Jane Leade. There is a look, too, at le Clement de Saint-Marcq’s spermo-gnosticism. Van Raalte concludes by outlining her own scholarly research on Thelema, looking particularly at her ideas of a babalon theology and the influence of the work of Amodali Zain.

Georgia van Raalte is a doctoral student at the University of Surrey; she holds a Masters in Western Esotericism from University of Amsterdam. Author of numerous articles and essays, she has presented at academic conferences in Latvia, Germany, Holland and the UK.

https://www.treadwells-london.com/event/...38a3cccabf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2019, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2019 10:38 AM by HelenaReed.)
RE: The Female Body in the Study of Esotericism
To be honest, I stopped thinking about it since I passed the history exam at school. I like that I live in the modern world where a woman can be both smart and beautiful. I do not hesitate to use makeup and long eyelashes. You can look at this now to see how it transforms the appearance. For me and for many other women have enough such magic)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply