Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you ruled by fate & superstition?
29-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Are you ruled by fate & superstition?
Sandy was on the motorway heading for Preston, Lancashire. Suddenly, she saw a single magpie flutter across her path. Desperate to spy a second magpie, she missed her junction and found herself on the road to Hull.

Bad luck? Had this inoffensive black and white bird, or ‘harbinger of doom’, really caused Sandy to veer off course? Or had she simply allowed herself to get distracted?

Every day, millions of people face similar situations. Walking under ladders, passing someone on the stairs, having recurring dreams and – a particular dread for actors - whistling backstage are all viewed as potential hazards in the bad luck department. Sportsmen and women too are usually prone to lucky mascots and pre-performance rituals, and I’ve even known of people refusing to get out of bed if their horoscopes were unfavourable.

Of course, it’s easy to make light of superstition but for many lands it can be highly damaging, even dangerous. In India, AIDS is being spread by truck drivers who think sexual relations will keep them cool in hot weather. In other parts of the world, the birth of twins is viewed as a curse, sometimes causing parents to kill one – or even both - of them. And superstition can actually enslave whole communities, especially when combined with an overdeveloped fear of the dead.

Like Sandy, one of my worst phobias was lone Magpies (“one for sorrow, two for joy” as the rhyme goes), but there were plenty more where that came from, such as breaking a mirror ( 7 years’ bad luck!), putting new shoes on a table (death within a year), opening umbrellas indoors and uncrossing knives (broken friendship)......so many superstitions, in fact, they were actually affecting my life and it was only through research and applying simple logic that I eventually learned to cope with them in a rational way.

http://jacybrean.blogspot.com/2017/05/i-...ition.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply