Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why I Quit Writing About Star Signs
01-10-2020, 10:01 PM
Why I Quit Writing About Star Signs
“When astrology got computerised and went mainstream, anyone could cough up a few bucks and get ‘qualified’ in an online course.”

Astrology is no longer niche. While, a decade ago, it was confined to those who lived and breathed the planets, it’s now something for everyone to dip their toes into.

Star sign memes are all over Instagram; birth charts are available at the click of a button via apps like Co-Star and The Pattern; and experts reckon this “mystical services” industry is now worth upwards of $2.1 billion (£1.7 billion). While astrology itself is an ancient practice, it’s this new era of “pop astrology” that’s responsible for Urban Outfitters selling zodiac cushions and Virgo-themed “trinket trays”.

This is obviously fun for many involved. However, for longtime astrologers with decades of experience, this enthusiasm for pop astrology isn’t necessarily something to be welcomed. Cal Garrison, an Arizona-based astrologer and author, with over 50 years of experience, recently released a statement on her website announcing that she would be ceasing to write weekly horoscopes. “I have totally had enough of that sign-by-sign prediction stuff,” she writes. “It is not astrology – it is a gimmick that sells papers, makes the astrologer a few bucks and keeps everyone in the dark.”

She’s not leaving astrology behind entirely – just sun sign horoscopes and “pop astrology”. “I’ve been at this for 50 years and it is my passion. I am definitely not leaving the field,” Garrison tells VICE. “What I did quit was the pop astrology, weekly sign-by-sign prediction and YouTube astrologer bullshit. The media keeps astrology in that play pen so that the collective mind will never get wind of what it’s really all about.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyzmvk/a...-astrology
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is my Halloween horoscope and which star signs will have the spookiest Halloween dormammu 0 119 01-10-2020 05:18 PM
Last Post: dormammu
  Has my star sign changed? New horoscope signs revealed - what are the new dates? Has dormammu 0 172 02-08-2020 05:21 PM
  Ophiuchus star sign traits: Are YOU the new NASA star sign? dormammu 0 262 21-07-2020 12:01 PM
  STARS ALIGN Star sign symbols: Zodiac glyphs for all 13 horoscope signs explained dormammu 0 321 18-07-2020 07:41 PM
  Compatible star signs and your most unlikely astrological match mecheeta 0 207 04-07-2020 06:21 AM
Last Post: mecheeta
  Gemini personality traits: What are Gemini star signs like? Positive & negative attr dormammu 0 446 19-05-2020 06:44 AM
  Leo personality traits: What are Leo star signs like? Positive & negative attributes dormammu 0 430 09-05-2020 07:32 AM
  zodiac-star-signs Star sign compatibility: which matches are made in heaven and hell? mecheeta 0 416 05-05-2020 06:45 AM
Last Post: mecheeta
  Capricorn personality traits: What are Capricorn star signs like? dormammu 0 280 24-04-2020 06:56 AM
  isces personality traits: What are Pisces star signs like? dormammu 0 362 24-04-2020 06:55 AM