Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Psychic pair fail scientific test
15-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Psychic pair fail scientific test
From the BBC website

A scientific experiment has found that two mediums were unable to demonstrate that they had special psychic powers.

The test by researchers at Goldsmiths, University of London, tried to establish whether mediums could use psychic abilities to identify something about five unseen volunteers.

The results, carried out under test conditions, did not show evidence of any unexplained powers of insight.

But medium Patricia Putt said this experiment "doesn't prove a thing".

This Halloween challenge was an attempt to investigate whether professional mediums could demonstrate their psychic powers in a controlled setting - by inviting them to deduce something about people they had never met and could not see or hear.

'Psychic energy'
The experiment, designed by Chris French, head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths, asked two professional mediums to write something about five individuals who were concealed behind a screen.

These five volunteers were then asked to try to identify themselves from these psychic readings - with a success rate of only one in five.

This was a result that was "entirely consistent with the operation of chance alone", said Professor French.

But one of the mediums, Patricia Putt, rejected the suggestion that this showed any absence of psychic powers - saying that she needed to work face-to-face with people or to hear their voice, so that a connection could be established.

"Psychic energy" was not likely to work in the setting created for the experiment, she said, and her success rate was usually very high.

Ms Putt said the experiment was designed to confirm the researchers' preconceptions - rather than examine the nature of her psychic ability.

"Scientists are very closed-minded," she said.

She said there were fraudsters operating as psychic mediums - but that it was wrong for scientists to think that such mediums "were all the same".

But Michael Marshall of the Merseyside Skeptics Society, who helped to organise the test, said it showed that claims to have special abilities "aren't based in reality".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2012, 10:46 AM
RE: Psychic pair fail scientific test
Scientists always believe the facts if you have facts in this matter they have to trust on you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Well...the truth is that it has nothing to do with scientific tests, as it is all down to who believes what.

They can't fail me, because they lose every time.

What I did, was place the answers all date stamped on forum and one day later ask the questions.

Then you get the tests that only a few times I accepted live on forum.

They took something virtually impossible to do, lay scorn and 'threw down the gauntlet'.

Verdict:- Do it again!
So you do it a second and then a third time and they lose again.

What do they say?

FLUKE!

Yet the tests they give, if I were to lose, what would they say then?

If folks issue tests, then they should abide by the results.
The conclusion is debatable, but then what they do, is move away from the test and focus on YOU.

They lose on the grounds of proof, but instead try and make you out as mad.

It is far easier to label someone as inappropriate when there are at least 700% of your audience who do not believe in psychic abilities.

You can have 10,000 correct tests, but it takes just ONE to ridicule you and knock you down as if you never existed.

As for these tests, they don't mean a darn thing, because if I can do it, then what about those who are better than me? They can't take away my results, because they are plastered all around the Internet live!

So it has got literally nothing to do with proof. Why do I bother?

Because I talk a lot, and when I talk, people put me to task. If you cannot back up what you say, then you are nothing but idle words that mean as much to the scientists as to those who need faith!

As there is not much faith out there, then I assure anyone that words are just a 'pinch of salt'

Look at Derek Acorah....????
The guy has done perhaps a thousand readings with the greatest of accuracy. He gets one or two incorrect and he is banished.

They look at the 0.2% because it suits them, as the 99.8% is not even good enough to keep the man going!

So what does this proof mean?

Sod all!
30-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Derek Acorah is the biggest showman going, but he is pure entertainment, I'm in stitches of laughter when he goes into one of his so-called trances - pulls faces - talks in a different voice etc. I don't know how anybody can literally take him seriously. Interestingly, the magician James Randi has offered a substantial reward for any psychic to actually give proof that they have clairvoyant abilities. So far nobody has claimed this reward! Has anybody heard of Phineas T Barnum? He exposed the Cold Readings, which is widely in use today.
31-12-2012, 04:55 AM
(30-12-2012 06:47 PM)Hangingpants Wrote:  Derek Acorah is the biggest showman going, but he is pure entertainment, I'm in stitches of laughter when he goes into one of his so-called trances - pulls faces - talks in a different voice etc. I don't know how anybody can literally take him seriously. Interestingly, the magician James Randi has offered a substantial reward for any psychic to actually give proof that they have clairvoyant abilities. So far nobody has claimed this reward! Has anybody heard of Phineas T Barnum? He exposed the Cold Readings, which is widely in use today.

If Derek Acorah was preying on the wisdom of the public, then I don't think much of his audience? After all, they chose him...not as an entertainer, but as a psychic medium.

I don't think there are any, professional clairvoyants or psychics who have survived public scrutiny? That includes, Sally Morgan, Colin Fry and Doris Stokes. Not to mention Uri Geller who with his spoon bending had captured world wide acclaim!

What ever happened to T. Lobsang Rampa......another fake?

Over all....this has laid the "cream on the table", but they have "curled up and died", what about the milk what's left; or is this a debunking forum ?

So what's it all about?

Now we have this p*ll*c James Randi, who claims that science is the substance of all validity, who is taking a none physical subject to be proven physical?

I could beat James Randi, and so could a few more psychics. There was even one psychic who beat him and made him withdraw his challenge, cos he was losing.

Let's make sense out of it all.....

What court of law are going to give credit to a "half baked" mind reader and risk his reputation?

The truth, is that all psychic mediums are regarded as tricksters or mentally unstable. In other words we must not be taken seriously. The law attains that this practice is for entertainment purposes only, and that is the only darn way that psychics are going to get a TV appearance!

The ones who 'escape the net' of being mentally deranged, are classed as fraudsters, if not entertainers.

This is precisely what I am labelled, although there is still a hard core of folks who deem me mad?

The ones who "I have passed through the net", have even reported me to both the CIA and FBI for computer hacking! Claiming that the only way, a person can be so accurate, must be by going into personal and government computers!

These things are not funny, and whilst artists like Derek Acorah can escape the mental institution, the less fortunate ones have to suffer the idealists.
31-12-2012, 01:46 PM
No one will ever pass James Randi's test, because he moves the goal posts all the time. It doesn't matter what proof is put in front of him, he refuses to believe. He is not even open to the idea that there *might* be something in it. He is one of the hardened skeptics who dedicate their lives to disproving any form of psychic ability or openly slating it.

Science deals very much in things that can be measured. If Science was to prove that actually, psychic ability in some form does exist, it would blow a lot of their theories out of the water, and lets face it, science is rooted in theories and not always fact. Theories that have been formed by one person or a teams perception of something, or perception of the information they have.

Ironically, theories like quantum physics does in fact give merit to the idea of Psychic ability. If the universe is in fact a multi verse and not singular, and there are many universes running side by side, then in theory, we would simply pass from one universe to another when we die, which in turn gives weight to the idea of seeing spirits and communicating with spirits, as it is simply some people being more in tune with the other universes.

Then of course if we look at how some scientists believe that the past present and future is all running as one, this could also give some scientific evidence of *hauntings*... after all, if the past present and future is all running at the same time, then maybe some places are hot spots for people to be more aware or in tune with what has been and gone.... while the future is fluid and ever changing, hence the fact it is not as easy to be as accurate over the future than the past and present.

I am not saying that I definitely believe the above (although it does interest me).. however, science and the supernatural, or the paranormal is more linked than science would want to believe, this is what amuses me so much with science disregarding the paranormal, and believing it has to be proved in a lab, or a controlled settings. Science can't or won't see what's staring it in the face, that some of its theories supports the idea of the paranormal and psychic ability. And the hardened man or woman of science almost explodes with rage when faced with the most basic of dot joining.

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
31-12-2012, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2012 07:23 PM by georgek.)
(31-12-2012 01:46 PM)Icemaiden Wrote:  No one will ever pass James Randi's test, because he moves the goal posts all the time. It doesn't matter what proof is put in front of him, he refuses to believe. He is not even open to the idea that there *might* be something in it. He is one of the hardened skeptics who dedicate their lives to disproving any form of psychic ability or openly slating it.

Science deals very much in things that can be measured. If Science was to prove that actually, psychic ability in some form does exist, it would blow a lot of their theories out of the water, and lets face it, science is rooted in theories and not always fact. Theories that have been formed by one person or a teams perception of something, or perception of the information they have.

Ironically, theories like quantum physics does in fact give merit to the idea of Psychic ability. If the universe is in fact a multi verse and not singular, and there are many universes running side by side, then in theory, we would simply pass from one universe to another when we die, which in turn gives weight to the idea of seeing spirits and communicating with spirits, as it is simply some people being more in tune with the other universes.

Then of course if we look at how some scientists believe that the past present and future is all running as one, this could also give some scientific evidence of *hauntings*... after all, if the past present and future is all running at the same time, then maybe some places are hot spots for people to be more aware or in tune with what has been and gone.... while the future is fluid and ever changing, hence the fact it is not as easy to be as accurate over the future than the past and present.

I am not saying that I definitely believe the above (although it does interest me).. however, science and the supernatural, or the paranormal is more linked than science would want to believe, this is what amuses me so much with science disregarding the paranormal, and believing it has to be proved in a lab, or a controlled settings. Science can't or won't see what's staring it in the face, that some of its theories supports the idea of the paranormal and psychic ability. And the hardened man or woman of science almost explodes with rage when faced with the most basic of dot joining.

Well....whoever has taught you icemaden, has taught you well!

Escaping from the path of idealism and what science asks, let me tell you that I have two science degrees, because I was told that once scientific...never to be broken.

Straight into the garbage bin, after that cos everything that I had been taught was to stand up to those preaching scientific jargon and the way that things work!

What I have learnt, is a lifetime of knowledge, that unless you have been trained that way, there is no way of accepting what I say, unless you bring faith into it?

Unless science could explain how I met ET, instead of saying that I am mad, then I am still waiting for the answer. Especially if this same madness that has surpassed my metaphysical surroundings and brought me back again !

Having spent a good many years discussing the paranormal, there are always the few who 'throw down the gauntlet'. They slap you across the cheek and ask you to pick it up?

Of course, 99/100 you walk away from such matters, but then you have your reputation in tatters because just like Randi, there an awful lot of support when spiritual blindness takes over.

In other words, you become a laughing joke and no one even bothers to listen to you. Those who do listen , make you a laughing stock to others.

When you are correct, there is a wide audience who goes quiet and the impression is that no one is reading.

On one occasion out of perhaps a hundred, I did an incorrect reading and if I say that there was a linch mob out there, I could not be far wrong!

It happens, and with this particular photograph it was very blurred....no excuse for me!

This is my point......

No psychic can be 100% accurate. Pretty much like driving a car.
You slip on the clutch once or twice, but as for your reputation, this has nothing to do with your driving record, but down to whose car had hit you at the time!

Pretty much like Derek Acorah.......
Try explaining Thought Forms and the power of suggestion to a skeptical audience? We pass our exams on a pass basis....not a 100% acclaiming record 100% of the time. Unless it is opinions that we are after by his face contortions?

The wider truth, is often more difficult to follow and unless people can be open minded instead of using this phase for closed mindedness, then nothing can ever be achieved.

Closing the veils and looking at the light, is never going to happen in a dark room. Cos all that is in front of you is blindness. If this sounds like preaching, then I suggest that it is tried?

I personally, I cannot see what James Randi is going to achieve by making this challenge, apart from taking this same analogy and asking him to prove otherwise?
01-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi Georgek! I know that many members of this forum are secret phone psychics who like to come on this site so they can intermingle with us just to put their own views across and of course to promote certain companies! I have a feeling that you are a reader yourself???
01-01-2013, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 03:28 PM by Demi.)
I have got some documented experiments from 1974 from the UK and many more documents that state about spiritual healing, I guess you could call that Psychic energy. I have researched this subject very well for many years and for every publication there is in fact the opposite publication stating that psychics are all fake etc, etc - it is without a doubt boring trash. For whoever these "scientists" are obviously do not believe in the First Law of Thermodynamics" - the BBC like any other media has an agenda or whoever funded this so-called project to actually claim such nonsense. So do not believe BBC at all! There are also fraudsters, conmen in every profession. Oh! I am also a qualified scientist and I have been taught to keep an open mind because everything has it's possibilities and probabilities but I know for certain that Psychic energy is real and these narrow-minded people better get used to it! Idea

(15-12-2012 12:07 AM)drstrange Wrote:  From the BBC website

A scientific experiment has found that two mediums were unable to demonstrate that they had special psychic powers.

The test by researchers at Goldsmiths, University of London, tried to establish whether mediums could use psychic abilities to identify something about five unseen volunteers.

The results, carried out under test conditions, did not show evidence of any unexplained powers of insight.

This Halloween challenge was an attempt to investigate whether professional mediums could demonstrate their psychic powers in a controlled setting - by inviting them to deduce something about people they had never met and could not see or hear.

'Psychic energy'
The experiment, designed by Chris French, head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths, asked two professional mediums to write something about five individuals who were concealed behind a screen.

These five volunteers were then asked to try to identify themselves from these psychic readings - with a success rate of only one in five.

This was a result that was "entirely consistent with the operation of chance alone", said Professor French.

But one of the mediums, Patricia Putt, rejected the suggestion that this showed any absence of psychic powers - saying that she needed to work face-to-face with people or to hear their voice, so that a connection could be established.

"Psychic energy" was not likely to work in the setting created for the experiment, she said, and her success rate was usually very high.

Ms Putt said the experiment was designed to confirm the researchers' preconceptions - rather than examine the nature of her psychic ability.

She said there were fraudsters operating as psychic mediums - but that it was wrong for scientists to think that such mediums "were all the same".

But Michael Marshall of the Merseyside Skeptics Society, who helped to organise the test, said it showed that claims to have special abilities "aren't based in reality".
01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
(01-01-2013 03:16 PM)Demi Wrote:  I have got some documented experiments from 1974 from the UK and many more documents that state about spiritual healing, I guess you could call that Psychic energy. I have researched this subject very well for many years and for every publication there is in fact the opposite publication stating that psychics are all fake etc, etc - it is without a doubt boring trash. For whoever these "scientists" are obviously do not believe in the First Law of Thermodynamics" - the BBC like any other media has an agenda or whoever funded this so-called project to actually claim such nonsense. So do not believe BBC at all! There are also fraudsters, conmen in every profession. Oh! I am also a qualified scientist and I have been taught to keep an open mind because everything has it's possibilities and probabilities but I know for certain that Psychic energy is real and these narrow-minded people better get used to it! Idea

(15-12-2012 12:07 AM)drstrange Wrote:  From the BBC website

'Psychic energy'

Hi Demi. Nobody on this thread has suggested that all psychic's are fraudsters. But you must appreciate that fake's are operating in the psychic industry. I have met genuine psychics at spiritualist churches who have told me stuff and brought out names that were only known to me. I do totally agree that there are some things that science cannot explain re psychic phononema, in fact there are things that nobody can explain. There always has been and always will be fraudsters operating claiming they have psychic powers. Cold readings are still very much in existence now, probably more so now then they ever have been as the psychic world has become too commercial and tacky, thus losing any credibility it once upon a time had.

People scoff at the Gypsy end of the pier fortune tellers now, who actually DID what was required and told you your fortune. Now it seems anybody can become a reader, as all they give you now is advise and predictions that very rarely come true. It is well known in the media circles that Derek Acorah is a fake. The whole Most Haunted show was very suspect, Yvette Fieldings fake screaming for instance

I am not narrow minded in the least, but I am certainly not gullible either. We have to look at both sides of the coin, there are indeed genuine psychics which I'm afraid to say are few and far between, but there are also many many fakes out there! If that makes me narrow minded then so be it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Psychics all fail to convince Alice Cooper 21 3,442 28-02-2015 06:15 PM
Last Post: Star111
  Telly psychics fail to foresee £12k fine for peddling nonsense. Sapphire 5 979 26-06-2013 10:19 PM
Last Post: Sidney