Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does being spiritual mean?
16-01-2013, 06:07 PM
What does being spiritual mean?
Hi all.

I have been following the argument / discussion between various members of this forum and one of the points I found interesting was this thought might be interesting to discuss is spirituality or being spiritual.

I'm of the mind that there is no right or wrong answer here as it appears to be individual thing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2013, 06:54 PM
RE: What does being spiritual mean?
I agree that it's a personal definition... everyone will define it differently.... based on how they see it.

For me spirituality is a doing word... I used to believe that being spiritual meant that you had to try and *help* everyone, and that you should let things go regardless of whether someone was taking the mickey out of your good nature etc etc.... and over the years I have come to realise that actually, being spiritual first and foremost comes from the relationship you have with yourself. For example, the spiritual journey is one of self growth, of self healing etc etc.... and then this can then start to reflect in your external world. Therefore, it is perfectly okay to say no, to understand that sometimes you need to put yourself first, that you don't have to put up with being treated badly just because you are spiritual and to more importantly, stand up for what you believe in..... made my life a hell of a lot better I can tell you.

Being spiritual for me means respecting yourself, as well as respecting the world around you.... its as I said the connection you have with yourself, but also your higher self, as well as the universe (or god or whatever label you want to put on it). Our own sense of spirituality starts with how we see ourselves and then goes from there. As we evolve and grow, the way we define spirituality and being spiritual also grows and evolves.

So many people attach the word to themselves without ever being spiritual, or having any real sense of spirituality (if that makes sense) and I have seen that a lot over the years.... its almost like this bandwagon people jump on... I am a medium therefore I am spiritual, or I am psychic therefore I am spiritual..... and for me personally, it doesn't work that way and there is a huge difference between psychic development and spiritual development.

For me, my connection to the angels and the universe is really important... as is my connection to the world around me. I guess I am still working out my *purpose*... and while my own spiritual journey has been one hell of a roller coaster ride so far, it has also been one of the most fulfilling.

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
16-01-2013, 07:18 PM
RE: What does being spiritual mean?
Hi Dom.

Spirituality means different things to different people. I do believe it is what the person believes in. This could be a religion, the Gods or Goddesses, angels, Budda etc.

I personally have my own beliefs, I believe in the laws of Karma and another world when we die. I guess that does not make me spiritual, but I like to think of myself as a caring person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Celebrity spiritual healer denies sexual assault drstrange 0 833 02-12-2011 01:28 PM
Last Post: drstrange
  Celebrity spiritual healer denies sexual assault drstrange 0 589 02-12-2011 01:28 PM
Last Post: drstrange
  I like it, join here is to learn, more spiritual knowledge! huaxia 0 549 12-07-2011 09:49 AM
Last Post: huaxia