Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
A gift you can refuse
07-02-2013, 02:12 PM
A gift you can refuse
Sometimes I read comments on here that are full of anger or bulling remarks, so I though this little fable from Buddha was appropriate.

With love Heart

One day the Buddha was walking through a village. A very angry and rude young man came up and began insulting him. "You have no right teaching others," he shouted. "You are as stupid as everyone else. You are nothing but a fake!"

The Buddha was not upset by these insults. Instead he asked the young man, "Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone, and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?"
The young man was surprised to be asked such a strange question and answered, "It would belong to me, because I bought the gift."

The Buddha smiled and said, "That is correct. And it is exactly the same with your anger. If you become angry with me and I do not get insulted, then the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 10:51 PM
RE: A gift you can refuse
haha no problem. Glad you liked it Smile
08-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Your welcome Bubbles. You have a good weekend too xx
08-02-2013, 04:54 PM
(08-02-2013 12:34 PM)Angel Eyes Wrote:  Your welcome Bubbles. You have a good weekend too xx

I like his a great deal!!WinkWink
20-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Hi Angel Eyes: I like the fable very much. I too have one which I would like to share:

THE CAT AND THE COCK Fable

A cat caught a cock and pondered how he might find a reasonable excuse for eating him: He accused him of being a nuisance to men by crowing in the nighttime and not permitting them to sleep: The cock defended himself by saying that he did this for the benefit of men, that might rise in time for their labours. The cat replied:- 'Although you abound in specious apologies, I shall not remain supperless'', and he made a meal of him.
20-02-2013, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2013 11:50 AM by misssaigon.)
Thumbs Down RE: A gift you can refuse
The Cat and the Cock by Vernon Jones (1912)

Came across this fable on-line. Interesting illustrations accompany this fable on line by the famous Arthur Rackham children's illustrator of the late 19th and early 20th century.Heart