Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
setting things straight (for those that dont know)
30-04-2013, 12:57 PM
setting things straight (for those that dont know)
I joined this forum to ask a few questions of people claiming they had 'psychic' powers, its fairly plain to see there arnt really any confident enough in there powers to answer them.

I'll not waste my time with the so called 'psychic' people on here...

I would be interested to know a few things of the people who use tarot card readers,'psychics' etc...

I can totally understand a need for people to miss loved ones that have died, the feeling that you will never see them again is awful.
But to pay a person that claims they are psychic to contact them seems utter madness, there is no proof other than 'psychics' stuborn answer of "I believe its true so there" .

Its the same with fortune tellers, they take your money and give you general bits of info that could match many people and then give you bits that might come true for most people such as "you may get a new car in the future" or "your going to have another child at some point"...and anything the 'psychic' say that doesn't add up to the sitter, they are told to go away and have a think about it.

Are we really living in a world that is so easy to con and scam? Or more importantly are we living in a world where we will let people get scammed by in my opinion the worst con artists out there...by which I mean the ones that profit for people who are grieving ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
RE: setting things straight (for those that dont know)
Hi chris, just because you personally don't believe anyone has "psychic" powers doesn't necessarily make it true either...can you prove they don't exist? I have to agree 99% of people on these phone line are..well i wouldn't say fake, they most likely believe they have psychic abilities, but you only have to look on these forums to see not alot of predictions ever happen.
I'll tell you my experience of what i consider a "real" medium..feel free to tell me how she actually come up with the information she gave me..going back 10 years now went to a local lady with a skeptic friend, she told me personal things she could not have known not going into details on that one, my next door neighbors full name, a message from jim for my mom (a old boyfriend) names of people i knew, names of people i would come to know...a situation where i would seek psychic help to make it happen...hence i found this forum lol..a connection with gravesend..met someone on this forum..guess where they come from..yep gravesend.
Then she did the medium thing it was using a board...i know you'll say i was pushing the glass (well i wasn't) my dad came through..you could ask anything...now my dad was a lousy speller seems he is in spirit too. Then someone came through called carl..dont know a carl..then it said its claires brother...carl was killed in a car crash some years earlier...tell her im ok. My friend is no longer a skeptic. Ok so tell me how she did this?, i'll accept you've no proof i wasn't pushing the glass..but carl? not someone i would have been thinking about.
Yeah your right these phone companies make money out of people's misery but there are some genuine ones out there..well in my opinion
01-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Your story of when you and a friend went to see a psychic.. I would have to know a lot more detail about the reading such as..
Did the psychic know you from past readings? Or through a friend?
How did you pay for the reading (cash or on a card)?
What information was given to the reader before hand?

There are many ways a psychic can make it seem like there are giving you factual readings but when looked at closer they are just giving you info you unknowingly let slip.

Cold reading..
Intuition..
'Barnum' statments..
Psyical Observation..
Using the internet to research a client..

The list goes on and on .. Google and youtube this stuff don't take my word for it.
01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
It was our 1st reading with her, she knew my first name before hand, no address, paid by cash on the day, a tenner was there for hours and had coffee, cakes and a few of her ciggies , i was a ex smoker lets just say i was in shock cos i'd never experienced anything like it (and never since may i add lol) so no it wasn't a money making scheme. We had to wait nearly 12 months to see her, no website, google her name it wont be found..this ladies waiting list was based purely on word of mouth.
So no, she couldn't have researched me, and the names based on observation? i dont think so..it wasn't just one name its a list..and one was a nickname of someone. Forgot to mention the mirror my face and my friends was transformed into someone that was not us as we looked into it. While i totally agree with most of what you say...saying they dont exist nope i saw enough evidence that day to convince me otherwise..but i doubt if a "real" one can be found on any phone line
01-05-2013, 02:02 PM
You say her waiting list was 12 months? And she took all her booking via word of mouth, so I'm guessing a person (a friend) recomended the psychic? If so how do you know that she didn't ask question of that person.
An I'm sorry you paid for the service so it is a money making scam,£10 doesn't seem mega money but if she's fully booked for 12 months she can afford to be hospitable ! I'm also guessing she does not pay tax on her earnings..you did say she didn't advertize didn't you.

The mirror trick is as old as the hills and goes back hundreds of years, if you look into a mirror for a period of time your brain starts to create form and shape for what is there !

This isn't magical nor paranormal, its all been debunked by science, but if you believe this woman then good for you.

Hope you have deep pockets because these people want your money !
01-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Well i got the phone number off someone who didnt know alot about me, so i can guarantee she didnt have prior knowledge...i actually offered her more money at the time...she refused it..she was a member of a spiritualist church and wanted to help people, is that so hard to believe?
You still haven't explained how she knew names? She just plucked the name carl out at random? Predictions?...how was she able to give me names of people who ive since met and a certain situation that has unfortunately made me resort to the money making people you talk about who use methods you describe.
01-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm familiar with the Barnum Effect with his statements:- "I provide a little something for everyone"; and:- "There is a sucker born every minute": True: I was one of those suckers which has been a bitter lesson for me, and one that I would never repeat again. It is so true. Most of the psychics you encounter are fakes, living off other people's misfortunes. The Barnum Effect is very much in use today, it is so easy to cold read and use statements which apply to anyone.

I have been absent from this forum for about 3 months,as things became a bit ugly, also I was fed up with the same old threads about PSTV psychics. I don't know if people are aware on here? but it is not normal practice to keep phoning a psychic continuously? Other people think you as stark raving mad. Why continuously have readings when your predictions are not coming true? It is literally throwing away your money which you may as well give to a begged in the streets?

Chris316, I thoroughly agree with most you say, but I do feel there are maybe a very very small minority of psychics who are genuine, I shall give you my reason:-

When I was 17, I visited a Spiritualist Church with my best friend of that time. It was that hot summer in 1990, and I remember it clearly. This was the first time that either me or my friend ever visited one, I didn't wast to go, but she lost her brother in a motorbike crash 3 years before so I felt I had to be of some support. I hated sitting inside there, because it was so hot and full of what appeared to be old and middle aged people (bearing in mind anyone over 30 appeared old to me then.) there was an elderly woman giving messages on the platform, my friend was bored because no message came for her. The medium pointed at me and said someone was trying to get through, and to wait till the end.

The demonstration finished, we stayed for tea and biscuits, the medium came straight to me and started reeling off messages from my nan and grandad that had passed away. I was given family members names, discriptions of things, that I was working in a fish & chip shop in a basement peeling spuds and to get myself some boots because the floor was wet. This was true, my feet were getting soaked in the basement of a fish & chip shop, this was my weekend job. Incidentally I did get some boots. But what was so strange was that she described where my nan and grandad met, she gave the name of a tiny remote village in Ireland, on a bridge above a running stream, described my grandad in uniform at that time, the actual month and year. I didn't know any of this, I had to check all of this with mum and uncle. Yes, it was all true.

Now, there was NO WAY the medium could have come up with that info. The spiritual church was 20 miles away from where we lived, nobody knew us, no name was given when we entered the church, and the names the medium gave were unusual long names which my family has. Not your Doris or Betty. The medium wasn't even local she was from Peterborough and we were in Hertfordshire, No message came for my friend, just me. This medium was completley free, no money changed hands, just 10p in the donation tray. Lol.

We visited that church afterwards, but the platform mediums were dull. I don't remember that mediums name, I have never come across anyone like her since. But yes, for me that was more than adequate proof there are at least a small percentage of genuine psychics.
01-05-2013, 04:23 PM
If I said to you can you connect with the names ...peter..steven..john..mark and chris would you know any one with these names? Quite possible!..
Once the psychic gets what's called a hit (you connecting with a name) they start pumping you for more info you may not realise this is happening but it is!

I have to ask about the phone call recommendation.. If you didn't know them how could they call you ? I'm confussed.

If this psychic was that good and accurate why arnt you sticking with them ?

If you will let me can I give you an example of how they work..please be honest if any of what I say makes sence..

I feel from your replies to me your a person that finds great comfort in being with friends and around strangers you have the need to make them feel like they can warm to you fairly fast.
You have had some major changes in your life and some real loss too!
But you are the kind of person that takes advice if it seems to make sence to you.

Money has been an issue in the last couple of years but you have a good network of people willing to help you ..

Does any of this make sence ? And please be honest ? And I will tell you how I do this ..
01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
(01-05-2013 04:23 PM)chrisw316 Wrote:  If I said to you can you connect with the names ...peter..steven..john..mark and chris would you know any one with these names? Quite possible!..
Once the psychic gets what's called a hit (you connecting with a name) they start pumping you for more info you may not realise this is happening but it is!

I have to ask about the phone call recommendation.. If you didn't know them how could they call you ? I'm confussed.

If this psychic was that good and accurate why arnt you sticking with them ?

If you will let me can I give you an example of how they work..please be honest if any of what I say makes sence..

I feel from your replies to me your a person that finds great comfort in being with friends and around strangers you have the need to make them feel like they can warm to you fairly fast.
You have had some major changes in your life and some real loss too!
But you are the kind of person that takes advice if it seems to make sence to you.

Money has been an issue in the last couple of years but you have a good network of people willing to help you ..

Does any of this make sence ? And please be honest ? And I will tell you how I do this ..

Yes. That would make sense because it is a general statement which could apply to anyone. I was only 17 at that time . We stopped going because my friend was annoyed because she never had a message from her dead brother, the mediums in the churches are not local, they travel to different venues. Yes, she probably would have been back, but we stopped going. I had my proof and other more entertaining things to do at that time. You see, I have that proof, it is the only proof I have and the only one I'm likely to get. But this was a GENUINE psychic, not one of your everyday cons.
01-05-2013, 04:57 PM
So firstly you agree I was fairly accurate in my 'reading' of you, surley thinking logically then this 'psychic' could have done much the same..and you could have let slip other info to the psychic in question and not known.

The only proof you have is what you choose to believe as proof..but that is not proof its just your faith that its proof, where as want cast iron proof tested and tested under clinical conditions!

You also say your friend wanted a message from her bother that had died and never got it..how strange..how very strange that the one person that was most likley to want to come back through to talk to his sister after he had died!

Please think logically

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  10 things to expect to hear from a psychic reading in relation to an ex iamacolincookfan 7 1,249 25-04-2018 11:45 AM
Last Post: Virgo1
  Chilling picture shows 'ghost' staring straight at museum visitor in terrifying shot mecheeta 0 275 04-11-2017 06:29 PM
Last Post: mecheeta
  You Have A Beautiful Soul + 6 Other Things Every Mother Should Tell Their Daughter dormammu 0 195 04-10-2017 11:11 AM
Last Post: dormammu
  The things that came true ... lilone 21 2,717 15-12-2015 08:40 AM
Last Post: Mistique1
  Things haven't changed Dancing Dolly 3 741 28-07-2015 06:22 PM
Last Post: mymy
  the 7 things that could happen in order of likeliness from your relationship reading iamacolincookfan 5 1,583 18-10-2014 06:35 PM
Last Post: Maria123
  My Experience of psychics, myself, readers I use and key things to look out for jmpsychicservices 12 3,568 29-06-2014 12:12 PM
Last Post: Ella Hardy
  Ten things to avoid in psychicreadings iamacolincookfan 0 687 15-06-2014 08:16 PM
Last Post: iamacolincookfan