Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
interesting read..dailymail 2008
20-05-2013, 11:52 PM
interesting read..dailymail 2008
Taken from the daily mail website 2008

Cilla Black was once said to be the highest-paid woman on British television as the nation's favourite matchmaker on Blind Date.

Yet she is now set to rake in profits from a website and phone line that offers premium-rate "psychic" advice to gullible callers.

The spiritualists offer telephone advice on topics from medical problems to missing pets.

But we can reveal that broadcasting regulator Ofcom is considering a complaint after she toured television and radio studios earlier this year to promote "Cilla's Destiny Calls."

The £1.50-a-minute phone line is part-owned by Cilla and her son Robert Willis, 38, is a director. Callers can have one-to-one conversations with scores of astrologers, tarot card readers and clairvoyants.

Cilla stands to make a substantial profit from the website and phone line

Although no accounts have yet been filed, Cilla, worth an estimated £15million in 2004, stands to make a substantial profit.

The star is a well known believer in the spirit world. She has previously claimed her house was haunted and that

psychic messages from her late husband Bobby told her to give up Blind Date.

She claims that it was the accuracy of the psychics rather than big profits which persuaded her to create the phone-line company with her son last autumn.

Yet when The Mail on Sunday tried out the premium line, our reporters were given elaborate advice on a series of non-existent worries.

None of the psychics deduced that the scenarios were made up but our five cases, detailed right, cost more than £125 in total.

Cilla owns one third of Destiny Calls Ltd. The other shareholder is an offshore company based in Jersey called Psychic Investments Ltd. Robert Willis is a director, but Jersey's business laws mean little else is known about it.

In similar companies the mystics who take calls are paid a quarter of the premium-rate charge, while the remainder goes to the owners. Cilla's psychics often suggest clients make repeat calls.

The investigation by Ofcom follows a complaint about Cilla's appearance on ITV's This Morning on February 14 ? Valentine's Day ? when she officially launched the phone lines. Ofcom guidelines state no programme must give "undue" prominence to goods or services.

Scroll down for more ...

Charging a fortune: The Destiny Calls website which promotes the £1.50-a-minute phone line

Cilla also promoted her website on Radio 2's Steve Wright In The Afternoon on February 14 and Channel 4's The Paul O'Grady Show on March 11.

On the O'Grady show, she mentioned the website address three times. She spoke of its usefulness for divining the suitability of a partner, likening it to her successful matchmaking on Blind Date.

Cilla went on to say: "It fascinates me and that's why I'm involved and if you want to check it out it is...[the website address ? which we are not disclosing]. It's a light-hearted thing and if you want to take it a step further you can."

O'Grady agreed: "Righty-oh Cilla. I'm there with you. I shall be on it tonight and I'll have a partner tomorrow."

Cilla did warn that it was not a service for the "incredibly vulnerable."

Yet, on the site, people are encouraged to call if they have been left by a boyfriend after falling pregnant, are unable to persuade a partner to return or feel as if they are betraying a dead husband by marrying again.

Cilla already offers services on her personal website, including insurance.

But her latest venture has alarmed Lib Dem MP Dr Evan Harris. He said: "This psychic advice line is a load of rubbish and it is sad that Cilla Black, already a rich woman, chooses to promote it."

He is critical of the BBC for allowing Cilla to promote a commercial service despite its public-service remit and will raise the matter with the Corporation.

Ofcom confirmed a complaint had been received but would not comment on an ongoing investigation. ITV said: "We never comment on Ofcom complaints."

In a statement last night Cilla said: "I do not know any details about the [Ofcom] investigation and I would not want to prejudice it by speculating on what it may be about, but I would like to say that neither Ofcom nor ITV have asked for my assistance in its resolution.

"I trust my business partner to deal with the day-to-day running of the service as he knows much more about compliance and regulatory issues than me."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2013, 12:39 AM
RE: interesting read..dailymail 2008
Its very old news?
21-05-2013, 12:42 AM
And..
21-05-2013, 01:06 AM
And... sounds like a very typical complaint. I take it all with a pinch .of salt. I don't know much about the company so I'm not in a position to comment,
21-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Yes psychic phone lines do follow a patten don't they!
21-05-2013, 08:00 AM
New? As in what ..talking nonsense about soul contracts or how a psychic gave amazing validations...

Lol

No I find I'm doing ok posting logical and rational threads is working just fine..

Smile
21-05-2013, 08:08 AM
It's a 5 year old article, and we have the word of journalists to go on regarding the readings.. now if the five people doing this were all skeptics, then the actual *test* reads would be a pointless exercise as nothing the readers said would be good enough... because it doesn't matter how good the reader is, a skeptic will always find fault in it.

This is the kind of typical gutter journalism the daily mail produces day in and day out *sigh*.... but of course Chris, you appear to have a lot of faith in gutter manipulative journalists with an agenda :-)

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
21-05-2013, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 08:16 AM by chrisw316.)
Lol .. But you would preffer to believe a psychic when there talking nonsense..

Deluded is not a good enough word!
21-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Journalists are hardly honest with the news now are they? Nor are they balanced.... lets face it, most of the drivel we read in the news papers is manipulated nonsense fed to the masses in order for sheeple to blindly follow..... if you want to support any form of argument, regardless of what side of the argument you are ... using the Daily Fail (who are notoriously shown up for the worst paper for gutter journalism) is not really supporting your argument...

It's clear you are not a man of science therefore you can't bring forward any interesting scientific debate to the table... you clearly do not know enough about psychic ability to be able to question it fairly and in an interesting way.. therefore you are choosing to scout the Daily fail for articles that are years old in order to support a point you are failing to make.... *smiles*

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
22-05-2013, 12:07 AM
It shows how the industry of psychic phonelines is..old or not the facts are there!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Has anyone read recently with yona Farrell ? Private reader... jaks 8 1,028 15-03-2018 11:12 AM
Last Post: jaks
  Have you ever been ripped off by the psychic? READ THIS Twilight 24 4,974 03-11-2015 03:27 PM
Last Post: Alice Cooper
  ADMIN please read it Charmed 15 2,433 14-08-2015 03:59 PM
Last Post: DogLover11
Smile any psychic prepared to read me** Alice Cooper 17 3,082 26-03-2015 07:18 PM
Last Post: Enrico
  read this: Spiritual Beer Cans 1 803 19-12-2014 10:00 AM
Last Post: leon
  Please read before you call a "psychic" asking if your ex will return. Lois123 42 21,114 18-09-2014 12:27 PM
Last Post: ally
  Really sad to read this iamacolincookfan 0 1,008 27-07-2014 12:45 AM
Last Post: iamacolincookfan
  validations.. have a read.. chrisw316 0 1,343 13-05-2013 12:30 AM
Last Post: chrisw316
  interesting website .. chrisw316 6 1,164 07-05-2013 06:29 PM
Last Post: chrisw316
  Interesting story tang130 0 962 13-10-2011 04:17 AM
Last Post: tang130