Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tarot Cards
10-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Tarot Cards
I've often been intrigued with the use of Tarot Cards. I mean, how can they work? The sitter shuffles cards which are then laid out then the psychic translates them.

Surely nobody can foretell a persons future just by a deck of cards? I mean, we could pick different ones if they are reshuffled again? I just don't get it, they are no more than a deck of cards with pictures on them.

I watch them sometimes on PT. I've even seen some psychics use cards with what they mean translated on them. I'm no psychic but even I could do what they do. John Healey had some cards that said; New Beginning, Choose Wisely etc., the key words printed on the cards.

So, is this what psychics are paid to do? It's money for jam with no skill. When you think about it this is what your paying £1.53 per minute for. Somebody shuffling cards and interpreting them.

Think before you pick up the phone the ££££!!! you'll be worse off! Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2013, 11:12 AM
RE: Tarot Cards
I do understand what your saying Bubbles. I realise its the way they are interpreted? But I could reshuffle them again and get a set of different cards? Mediumship I have more respect for, even palms and a Crustal Ball, but forget the history, they are just a deck of cards? John Healey turned up a card which was printed Choose Wisely, and he said Choose Wisely.

New Beginning would mean new job, move or relationship, choose wisely would mean decisions need to be made, up to the person which is best one to take etc., so that is something I could interpret and I am no psychic. So if I could do this then I guess most people could?

This is something I agree with Chris about. Psychics that use tarot cards to make a living are basically people with no skill. My eight yr old niece could read them! They are more mainstream now. Probably once they were quite mysterious, as the meanings differed slightly to more traditional interpretations. But now they are too fun looking and the basic meanings have become more happy go lucky.

I just don't see how these cards can be taken seriously.

10-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Dancing Dolly I completely understand the point you are making, I myself get frustrated at times with the tarot (I own 2 tarot decks & angel cards too). I honestly think that ANY card you pick can be inturpeted in anyway that although the meaning of the cards might be significant at the time, they can be so generalised that we make them fit?? I get very confused because the spiritual world fascinates me but it annoys me too. I like a reader to have psychic/mediumship abilities & the use of cards too. I find the cards can be great to give timings but I whole heartedly agree, they are just cards with pictures on, they have no power over our lives- only the power we give them! xx
10-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't believe PT have any readers that are believeable? Maybe the odd 2%. When I watch the show the studio psychics just waffle the same old thing. I am not a person who had readings, maybe the odd one a year.

A few years ago I did have a reading from Psychic Interactive, must be about 7/8 years ago. The reader was called Imbaal?. She said she was using mediumship and gave me names of loved ones in spirit. Honestly, they could have been pulled out of a hat. I was given names that had nothing to do with me and not one of them were family mbers deceased. Load of old codswallop!

I do believe there are genuine mediums and clairvoyants, trouble is they are difficult to find. I would certainly never contact a tarot reader to enquire about a guy. I do believe psychics were good in the old days, but feel now with the overuse of tarot cards it has lost it's mysticism? Phone companies have taken away that mystery as well.

10-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I have been using tarot cards since I was 15 and they still fascinate me.

The cards themselves have a bit of a mystery when it comes to their history.... many claim they are from Europe, some state it's egypt.. but if you do more research there were a form of divination style cards linked to asia......

As for reading the cards..... yes, anyone can learn to read them.. with emphasis on the learn. When you learn the tarot you need to learn how to link the cards, learn how to interpret them for different types of readings etc etc, then there is learning what the cards mean to you the reader. Yes they have generic meanings, and to a point people who want to learn the cards should have an understanding of the meanings, but it is just as important to find out what the cards mean to you as a reader.

tarot can be very accurate.. even with the generic meanings.... but.. this all depends on the connection the person has with the cards.. no connection with the cards, or understanding, and it will all be just meaningless waffle... connection and understand will give people a good reading.

The major arcana is a bit like a journey.. it starts with the Fool (new beginnings) and ends with the world (completion of the cycle)... and there are steps in between with the journey.... therefore, when the major arcana cards come in play in readings, they often indicate change or big events....

The minor arcana Cups are linked to emotions.... Coins financial (or concerns that are around the material aspects in life)... Swords is often problems and challenges (least that's my perspective when it comes to coins)... wands... I see wands very much about a persons work aspect as well as creativity etc etc

Now if I asked the cards a question like "Will I stay with my current partner) and the three cards I got were the three of swords, the magician and death..... I would see the answer being a no, that the relationship was coming to an end, probably because of deception, and with those three cards, probably because the partner was playing away (and yes, they were the cards I drew myself when I asked about my ex .. we were together at the time)... now if I had got three cards like the Lovers, the three of cups and maybe the four of coins or the ten of cups.. would be a totally different story.. would show emotional choices with the lovers cards or decisions to be made, a celebration to be had, and strong happy home life... this for me would make me think of engagement, or marriage, or the strengthening of a relationship.

Now there is also an intuitive aspect to the cards... yes anyone can read them, but the cards have so much to tell you when you read for others with them, but there needs to be an openess with the cards... people reading with them need to be able to listen, to engage with the cards.... and this is what I think a lot of readers now don't do..... they don't appear to want to do the learning and simply want to race straight through with the readings.. the learning part is very important :-)

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
10-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm sure there are some genuine mediums scattered around, but I'm sure that one I spoke to was not a genuine one. She must have picked out about 20/25 names. Not one single name made any sense to me. Bubbles I don't buy that explanation about being given friends relatives names, I should of have least been given a few names that made sense.

Tarot cards, I agree that they have to be linked together in a way a story can be made out of them. But that still doesn't mean to say they can be accurate. I could ask a question and be given an answer, I could ask the same question again and be given a different answer.

I have more faith in a Crystal Ball, as long as its genuine and not put out for show. I also have faith in palm readings, as the lines on hands don't lie, although I realise they change with age. I think perhaps tarot cards can be read by a genuine psychic:medium who works with her own gift and uses the cards merely as a prop. In that case it is the pdychics own messages coming through.

I do find tarot cards very beautifully crafted but couldn't have any faith in them as a means to interpret my future.

10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
You have faith in a crystal ball..... yet none in cards?

I spent ages sitting in front of my crystal ball... all I saw was energy sparks.. but kept hearing things.. didn't think anything of it... tried again, saw nothing.. and again.. saw nothing... but kept hearing words...... cut a long story short I mentioned it to someone I know who uses a crystal ball and mine talks to me instead of showing me.... I did feel a tad foolish..... more so for sitting there like an idiot for ages paying no attention to what I was hearing because I thought crystal balls showed you things LMAO

I guess all any of us can do is go with what feels right to us...... I personally believe in the cards when read in the right way... great emphasis on the right way though..... its when people pick them up and decide to advertise as a reader without bothering to learn how to read them or develop their psychic ability I get annoyed.... it would be like a doctor deciding to skip medical training and go straight into the operating theatre

10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
(10-06-2013 07:20 PM)Icemaiden Wrote:  You have faith in a crystal ball..... yet none in cards?

I spent ages sitting in front of my crystal ball... all I saw was energy sparks.. but kept hearing things.. didn't think anything of it... tried again, saw nothing.. and again.. saw nothing... but kept hearing words...... cut a long story short I mentioned it to someone I know who uses a crystal ball and mine talks to me instead of showing me.... I did feel a tad foolish..... more so for sitting there like an idiot for ages paying no attention to what I was hearing because I thought crystal balls showed you things LMAO

I guess all any of us can do is go with what feels right to us...... I personally believe in the cards when read in the right way... great emphasis on the right way though..... its when people pick them up and decide to advertise as a reader without bothering to learn how to read them or develop their psychic ability I get annoyed.... it would be like a doctor deciding to skip medical training and go straight into the operating theatre

That's amazed me. I was always led to believe that you scryed into a crystal ball and saw images? Icemaiden? I've used a pendelum in the past for pure entertainment to answer yes/no questions. So far this has let me down and I believe the pendelum can be influenced by the mind. It's interesting to know if you have any tips on this? Or have you had any experience with one? I ask you because you seem very knowledgable on psychic matters.

10-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your reply Bubbles. Very interesting. I now know not to consult the pendulum.

10-06-2013, 09:28 PM
To be fair I use a pendulum (not just for scrying) and find it fairly accurate...

Things to be aware of when using a pendulum though... it can only answer in black and white answers... not all answers are black and white

The more you use it the more accurate it will be.. its a case of building a connection with the tool you are using... whatever that tool might be.

I use my pendulum more for healing work and working on chakras... but I also use it for scrying at times... but again, most questions are not as simple as black and white when it comes to answering..... sometimes its best to build up by asking 5 things about your day in the morning and seeing what the answers are... the more you work on this, the more accurate you will become and the pendulum will become

I guess science may have ruled it as being nonsense... and yes people can use their mind to control the pendulum.... but I believe there is something in scrying.... I don't expect everyone to agree... but I never let science tell me what is or isn't right..... especially when it comes to spiritual and psychic development... we all have to make up our own minds as opposed to allow others to make our minds up for us :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contempora dormammu 0 177 17-07-2018 09:26 PM
Last Post: dormammu
Brick Tarot cards :) curiouscat 1 371 19-02-2018 07:32 PM
Last Post: Spiritual Beer Cans
  How accurate are the tarot? Ella Hardy 46 11,537 05-02-2018 06:38 AM
Last Post: Psychicphenomena1
  Free sample tarot reading rose123 0 269 18-08-2017 12:42 PM
Last Post: rose123
  Tarot sample reading rose123 1 339 10-07-2017 03:11 PM
Last Post: Lu1111
  Eddie - Tarot Insights PurpleShimmer3 34 5,743 20-08-2016 07:49 PM
Last Post: janaan
  Murder in the Cards drstrange 0 341 30-05-2016 07:51 AM