Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Daily Mail payout to Sally Morgan over psychic 'scam' article
24-06-2013, 06:49 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22988215

Mrs Morgan's website said she was "overjoyed" by the result
The publisher of the Daily Mail has agreed to pay "substantial" damages to a psychic after an article suggested she had "perpetrated a scam" on a theatre audience, a judge has heard.

Associated Newspapers has apologised to Sally Morgan and also agreed to pay her legal costs, the High Court was told.

Mr Justice Tugendhat heard Mrs Morgan was a psychic who had become well-known through TV and theatre appearances.

A statement on Mrs Morgan's website revealed the payout had been £125,000.

And she herself was quoted as saying: "It was an unjustified and unfair attack and it has been a very difficult, costly and painful process to get where I am today and to rectify that wrong.

"There will always be sceptics who attack my work and I understand and accept that. However, to libel me and falsely accuse me of a con trick does not constitute rational commentary or debate. I hope now this settlement and apology will repair the damage that has been done."

'Enormous distress'
Mrs Morgan sued for libel after the article was published in September 2011.

Her lawyer, Graham Atkins, had told the court: "She has performed in over 600 shows in more than 100 different theatres or venues to audiences stretching into the hundreds of thousands."

"It was following a theatre performance in September 2011 in Dublin that an article appeared in the Daily Mail which, in the context of a general attack on psychics as being charlatans, accused Mrs Morgan specifically of having used a hidden earpiece during her performance in order to receive instructions from her team which she then repeated on stage as if she had received them from the spirit world."

Continue reading the main story
Sally Morgan profile

Says she is able to "see and hear dead people"
Appeared on ITV's Star Psychic programme in 2007
Widely reported to have been a confidante of Princess Diana
Claims to have a number of celebrities among her clients
He added: "The article thereby suggested that Mrs Morgan had deliberately and dishonestly perpetrated a scam on her audience in Dublin."

The allegation had "caused enormous distress to Mrs Morgan, who decided, given the newspaper's initial defence of the article, that she had no choice but to commence legal proceedings against the publisher of the Daily Mail", he said.

Brid Jordan, for Associated Newspapers, told the judge: "The Daily Mail withdraws the suggestion that Mrs Morgan used a secret earpiece at her Dublin show in September 2011 to receive messages from off-stage, thereby cheating her audience, which it accepts is untrue."

She added: "It apologises unreservedly to Mrs Morgan for publishing the allegation. It has agreed to pay her substantial damages, together with her legal costs, and it has also agreed not to repeat the allegation."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: Daily Mail payout to Sally Morgan over psychic 'scam' article
I am a bit on the fence on this one as the evidence was pretty damning wasn't it??? Ear piece in, the production team were heard saying the things that she was repeating......

However, if it was wrong and there was another reason for it then fair play to her for fighting her corner... unfortunately, even with this apology it could still damage her *TV* work as people will always have some level of doubt?

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
30-06-2013, 09:37 PM
There was a lot of damning evidence and I am a bit surprised she won her case...... but win or lose this will ultimately have some effect on her work... which is a shame if she is innocent of the allegations.... again I am on the fence a bit with her

30-06-2013, 09:55 PM
It was the ear piece and someone in the audience hearing the production team talk and then allegedly what they said was being repeated by Sally...... the door was quickly shut so they could no longer be heard....

So I don't know... the two together look suspicious but they both also have plausible explanations.... A few people I know have seen her and highly rate her..... so who knows?

03-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Sally morgan has made a living telling people she doesn't have to prove she is psychic.. Then calls herself 'psychic' sally..

Aweful woman!
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
See this is the thing Highlander... I am not sure they would know the type of information she gives out on stage just from being in a shut away bit in the audience???? Am still a bit on the fence with it though... at least she got her apology, which she fought hard to get... I wonder if she would have fought so hard if she really was being fed info???

03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Icemaiden.. How are you on the fence? You have said that little line more than once..

Psychic Sally is about as 'psychic' as you or me.. Ie not psychic!
04-07-2013, 09:55 AM
(03-07-2013 10:09 PM)Highlander2 Wrote:  likewise you chris316 you seem to state the same negativity regarding psychics more than once twice, three times lol.

having watched Sally it's very difficult to see where she gets all her information from. She can sometimes describe the persons physical appearance as wellmas much more very personal information no photo no earpiece picking up info no cold reading ....things do seem to be unexplainable unless they are truly psychic.

I have been to one of her shows the woman is crap! One hit the whole night ! You may be amazed by her but I'm not..

Yes I do have to go over old ground sometimes as people on this forum seem to lose brain cells a bit .. Lol
04-07-2013, 02:15 PM
I have to question your last post as you claim to be having a normal rational working brain yet you believe there are people that can see the future!?

Ask yourself this what's more likely A) psychics are scaming people and using several ways in which to do so! Or B) They are psychic!

Your answer should be A)! But as brain cells turn to mush you might say B)!
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Chris... I am not sure you are aware or understand what the term Psychic means..... if you did, you wouldn't keep banging on the way you are...

So here goes.... does the word psychic mean someone who can see the future..... actually it doesn't.. the word psychic means someone who can access knowledge outside of the five senses... to quote from a dictionary.... it states...outside of scientific or natural knowledge.....

here is a link for you just to actually show you what the word means

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/psychic?s=t

Your obsession with the future and such like is lack of knowledge of what the word means...

Psychic ability is simply the development of an ability outside of the five senses.... and yes, this does mean that psychics believe they can read for people in some way.... and no, this doesn't always mean endless future predictions and nothing else...

I mean if you are going to mass post regarding how ignorant other people are, it is always a good thing to have some actual knowledge of what you are talking about.... the fact that people have to keep pulling you up on the most basic of things shows you are more ignorant than anyone!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lovely Sally psychickev 3 128 21-11-2017 02:00 AM
Last Post: Shining Star
Thumbs Up Do you think Sally Morgan is genuine? Soapfan46 27 4,418 08-04-2015 12:35 PM
Last Post: DavidDavid
  Trial date set for TV pyschic Sally Morgan's libel case against Daily Mail drstrange 1 2,083 10-12-2012 04:50 PM
Last Post: Icemaiden
  Psychic Sally mecheeta 23 11,039 26-09-2011 06:29 PM
Last Post: Brightside
  Psychic Sally speaks to Jade Goody Psychicfamily 1 1,267 03-04-2011 11:05 AM
Last Post: Brightside