Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Telly psychics fail to foresee £12k fine for peddling nonsense.
26-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Telly psychics fail to foresee £12k fine for peddling nonsense.
Telly psychics fail to foresee £12k fine for peddling nonsense - 24th June 2013

Psychic TV has been fined £12,500 for failing to remind viewers that it’s all nonsense, while interactive quiz channel The Big Deal got stung with a 10 grand fine for advertising the service - something neither of them saw coming.

The broadcast breached Ofcom's latest guidance for flimflam artists: that they must regularly remind viewers they're talking bollocks, both in words and on-screen banners, and that claims of efficacy aren't permitted. Both Psychic TV and Big Deal managed to breach both those clauses.

The broadcast claimed psychics could provide "accurate and precise" readings for those who called in. Presenters provided evidence in the form of anecdotes about previous successes (which isn't allowed) and claimed to have worked for various police forces in solving crimes, specifically in connection with the murder of Milly Dowler, which is also verboten - if only because it isn't true.

Ofcom can't ban psychics from appearing on TV, and dial-in TV is a burgeoning industry right now, so the regulator erects a maze of legislation requiring broadcasters to constantly remind viewers that it’s all a bit of fun and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Ofcom is in the enviable position to make that statement - unlike the Daily Mail, which has just paid out £125,000 following claims that a performing psychic was cheating. The Mail's mistake was to label Sally Morgan a fraud, rather than just, er, not to be taken seriously, but Ofcom can explicitly require presenters to denigrate their own beliefs as nonsensical entertainment.

Ofcom regularly sanctions Participation TV services (PTV), though normally it's those late-night premium rate chat lines that attract the regulator’s ire, for being excessively graphic while trying to recruit callers.

As that business moves online it falls outside Ofcom’s remit, but the slow migration is a reminder of how ubiquitous TV remains despite the obvious advantages of internet delivery.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/24/...e_psychic/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: Telly psychics fail to foresee £12k fine for peddling nonsense.
They did not see it coming because Psychics CANNOT tell the future....
26-06-2013, 01:57 PM
(26-06-2013 01:52 PM)iamacolincookfan Wrote:  Yes they can and it is lovely. Every broken relationship comes back together. More Twin flames than a barbecue at Guy Fawkes' place and everyone gets a promotion at work, even the unemployed apparently.

Haha you made me laugh

When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head and laugh at the sky - Buddha.
26-06-2013, 02:29 PM
iamacolincookfan that's GOOD! haha
26-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I have to admit I find it highly amusing if I have a reading and they talk about promotion, I run my own small business and am self employed, and I am not entirely sure what I could promote myself to? Sack myself maybe, but promote? it has only happened once or twice.. once when I was not working as my other half worked and I did mummy duty (well ex other half)... and the second was shortly after I started on my journey of self employment.

My ex was of course my twin flame, even though I was phoning up about work one time... my true soul mate... my one true love... clearly I didn't get that memo in the post *snigger*... although I have to admit, if he is my twin flame I must have eaten babies and small children before the soul broke in two and I got lumbered with him for eternity.

I am still waiting for the prediction where Dwayne Johnson leaves his wife and races to where I live to declare undying love to me..... (Dwayne Johnson is The Rock incase people were wondering who???) LMAO.... I live in hope this prediction will surface at some point ;-) LOL

In all seriousness though, I think it's all getting mighty stupid with off com and fines and god knows what else... people wonder about the standard of readings they get from phone lines but when you look at the insane way they are run and the insane things they have to stick to, it amazes me that anyone can actually read without it being against offcom....

A simple for entertainment only on the screen should be enough, and mentioned when people call in to use the service... readers should not be expected to say what they do, and then constantly remind people it's all just entertainment...

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
26-06-2013, 10:19 PM
(26-06-2013 01:52 PM)iamacolincookfan Wrote:  Yes they can and it is lovely. Every broken relationship comes back together. More Twin flames than a barbecue at Guy Fawkes' place and everyone gets a promotion at work, even the unemployed apparently.

Genius!! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Psychics all fail to convince Alice Cooper 21 2,731 28-02-2015 06:15 PM
Last Post: Star111
  Psychic pair fail scientific test drstrange 36 4,498 06-01-2013 12:25 PM
Last Post: Icemaiden