Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Don’t care how, just want what it says on the tin
03-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Don’t care how, just want what it says on the tin
Thought I’d start this as I’d asked the question of another user and on reflection I don’t want her to feel as though I was singling her out, to make a point and I know that threads can go off topic to the annoyance of the owner!

But in response to another user she stated that a majority don’t know how it works, and that if we did maybe we wouldn’t go around in circles (abbreviated version).

I asked the question who is responsible for this information being brought forward? Should the service user be asking first how the information is being obtained and how it is being interpreted or is it the responsibility of the psychic to provide this information before a reading begins?

Does anyone care or should we care a little more? Is the attitude 'Don’t care how, just want what it says on the tin' (predictions etc.)?

I'm green when it comes to the psychic world, but would it help to know more beforehand and would that stem the flow of over use?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 02:19 AM by glittercat.)
RE: Don’t care how, just want what it says on the tin
(03-07-2013 10:38 PM)Dominos Wrote:  But in response to another user she stated that a majority don’t know how it works, and that if we did maybe we wouldn’t go around in circles (abbreviated version).

If everyone should get with the programme and know how psychic readings should work, then companies such as psychic tv should not ask you to text in with specific questions as they are unable to give specific information regarding that question. That's where the disappointment lies as there's no guarantee the psychic has made a correct link with you to begin with anyway.

(03-07-2013 10:38 PM)Dominos Wrote:  I asked the question who is responsible for this information being brought forward? Should the service user be asking first how the information is being obtained and how it is being interpreted or is it the responsibility of the psychic to provide this information before a reading begins?

In past experiences when I've asked a psychic how they work, a lot of them get defensive which is stupid really because if they were truely genuine it shouldn't matter is a person asks. Also if the psychic starts to ramble at the beginning as to what they can do, it can be rather time consuming and expensive. So they should state what they can do on their profiles.

But then again how many times have we read profiles of psychics before ringing only to be disappointed because they have not delivered the things they said they could do. Which then boils down to one thing which is psychics don't know jack!
Also TV psychic shows are responsible for making claims (through their psychics) which they clearly can't when they ask you text in.
Whilst I agree that a person at some point should realise they need to stop ringing psychics, it should also be understand that some of them have an addiction problem. So this is where psychics/companies have a responsibility not to exploit vulnerable people.
04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
The law is an ass on the subject of psychics!

To let individuals claim to be psychic with no proof and then charge the simple minded public £££ is criminal in itself.

Psychic Today/Psychic TV... What ever its called is like watching a group of hippies/social misfits try to make there sad little lives more interesting, while taking peoples money in the process. Couple that with presenters that would not look out of place selling pencils from a cup outside Kings cross, makes for compelling viewing lol
04-07-2013, 11:55 AM
going back to the original post....

Readers get information in different ways.... but the common similarity is that no reader can or will see the future in exact details.. and just because someone wants to know the exact details of one aspect in their life, doesn't mean that will always be brought into a reading, because it simply doesn't work that way.

I know people see this as a cop out and believe that the word psychic means someone who can see the future in accurate detail.. but a psychic is someone who can access information outside of the five senses.... this doesn't mean a psychic has complete access to the future.... and this brings up the whole how people today perceive psychics, and their expectations.... It's almost like the word has been completely redefined. And to be fair, I don't think TV has done the readings field any favours, because it has helped redefine it....

The reader has a responsibility to give an honest reading...and this isn't about spending 20 minutes reeling off as many predictions as possible regarding a situation or person, including if a person will make contact.. this is not a reading, this is tacky fortune telling... but people no longer want readings, they want the tacky fortune telling... it doesn't matter how bad this tacky fortune telling is, this is what many people want.. they don't want information brought forward that could help them, they don't want a negative answer... they don't want honesty... because when it is given, they disregard it, they will leave negative reviews, they will in turn phone up and turn to the readers who will give the tacky fortune telling... a lot of readers will continue to give the honest readings that are there to help people, but many end up lowering their standards in order to meet the demand of the people they are reading for.. and that is.. to give the tacky fortune telling that always ends up with the fluffy fairy tale ending.

Readings should be there to help people discover the tools in order to move forward... the reason all tarot spreads have a past present and future aspect is because the past and present are often a lot more important than the future.. sometimes in order to move forward we as people have to go back and look at things that have been and gone.... but a lot of people no longer want this.. it doesn't matter that the information is being given to them because this is the information they need.... they would rather disregard all of it in favour of tacky fortune telling... not good fortune telling, but the tacky kind.

I agree with what Muffins said on another thread that people do not really understand how readings are meant to work, or the different styles of reading... only from my POV, I am not sure a lot of people want to? And as such people get themselves stuck into this negative spiral and cycle where they want only predictions, and will go to only the readers that not only give them the predictions but also tell them what they want to hear. I know a lot of people are less inclined to admit this, and to be fair, there is no shame in admitting it....

The reader is responsible for giving information, the person being read for is responsible for what they do with the information.. all a reader can do is relay info... as for different reading styles... well readers can give a brief explanation of how they read... it doesn't have to take long. While the person being read for has a bit of responsibility here in ensuring they go to a reader who is going to read for them the way they are wanting to be read for... and to be fair, if people are using phone lines, they have a lot of info about the readers on there and what they do and their skills etc etc....

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
04-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I am not saying readers shouldn't be honest... but I am saying that a lot of people do not want honesty.... it has been said many times on here both by the phone line readers and other readers as well as by people using various phone lines... they don't go back to the readers who do not tell them what they want to hear... just like phone readers on here in the past have often said they get a lot of abuse and the phone put down the minute they start saying what they don't want to hear...... or they get a list of readers being reeled off stating that these all said one thing so the reader saying something different has to be wrong.

This is where the person has to take some personal responsibility... no reader should lower their standards in order to pander to people.... but at the same time, maybe, just maybe, a lot of people would not get dependent on readings if they listened to those readers who were giving them the honest readings, who were not making the endless off the cuff readings jammed full of unrealistic predictions and inaccurate time frames....

Also... phone lines are notoriously hit and miss, there are some good readers on them, but a hell of a lot of really bad readers.. a lot of readers work on those lines to make themselves a bit of money and soon realise that actually, people will come back when told a load of crap, but won't touch with a ten foot barge pole if you tell them the truth.... and this always comes round to being the readers fault?

At the end of the day, if people want to be guaranteed an ethical reading, then perhaps using phone lines where they are fully aware the readers are not all ethical is perhaps not the greatest of moves.. and instead, sourcing a good reader who comes with a lot of personal recommendations.... new age shops will always have business cards, the local spiritualist church often has a list of readers.. both mediums and psychics.....

I think a lot of people need to perhaps realise that a psychic reading is not a short cut into the future...

04-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Just to add.... people have redefined the word psychic as being fortune teller.. yet that is not what the word means... just like clairvoyant means clear sight... psychic is a term for being able to source information from outside of the five senses.... none of this is guaranteed future .. although psychics can see snippets of the future, or get feelings about future events etc etc....... it is often just that snippets... or feelings, or the connection outside of the five senses will bring forward information..... This information may not always be about what the person is asking for.. a reader may not get given the answers to a persons question because the other information is far more important and will ultimately help the person move on instead of keeping them stuck in this cycle of wanting something that is perhaps not going to happen???

when I go for a reading I never ask specific questions straight away.. I always say, lets see what comes up... nine times out of ten the things I want to know get answered.. why?? Because I am not trying to force information, I am simply taking on board what I am meant to know through the reading..... only then do I ask for something to be looked at a bit more if I feel its needed.... most of the time it isn't.

I get a hell of a lot more out of a reading if I do it this way... this means the reader isn't trying to force info to come through which can't be forced, and it means I am relayed information that I need..... I certainly wouldn't want half an hour of a forced reading with the reader forcing predictions and going on guess work... I want what I pay for... a good honest reading that will help point me in the right direction...

05-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Thank you Popsicle, Glittercat and Icemaiden for replying.

To my knowledge, most people are introduced by friends and family, or TV and magazines. First reading time I had a reading I didn’t have any questions, I had no real clue what to expect but was given what you would call ‘tacky fortune telling’. It was in no way connected to anything advertised in the media, but that was what I got. If readings are not supposed to be conducted like that then why is it happening? I can honestly say that the first time I heard the term ‘guidance’ in connection to psychic readings was on Psychic Today, and that was due to TV rules.

Now a reader can provide this info before a reading via their website, many sites have disclaimers, so why not add something about how it all happens too?

As to reading profiles, from my understanding, they’re not the most reliable source of information. I remember reading a profile which stated that the reader worked hands free. But I could clearly hear cards being shuffled. I thought it funny at the time, but in hindsight maybe it wasn’t, and for this reason can understand why people on this forum share their experiences with the different readers.

Anyway, IMHO if the psychic world is being misunderstood and misused then I believe that the only people who can rectify things are psychics themselves. The general public require re-educating and the best people to do that are psychics themselves. Can you really blame John/Joan public if they’re being given poor information?

As frustrating as it is, if the public are being told that it’s all about predication then what else can be expected. If they’re not being educated correctly then I say again, it is your job (sorry) and that of other psychics to make the necessary changes to this perception.
I need sleep so forgive my abruptness!
05-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Simple fact is psychics are fake..

You will get people like icemaiden backing them to the hilt because its in there interest.
It is very common for psychics who arnt very good at there con artistary to blaim the sitter for a bad reading!

Don't be a sucker and hand over a penny to these grief vampires, you would get more sence out of a fortune cookie than a psychic!

Lol
05-07-2013, 08:17 AM
You raise some valid points Dominos... but it isn't as simple as psychics changing things, or readers changing things. People have unrealistic expectations.. in part this is down to phone lines, but only in part. I think we are in a society where a lot of people want short cuts, we only have to look at reality Tv for that... People come to readers with unrealistic expectations and demand those expectations to be met.. when a reader attempts to explain to them that actually, their expectations are unrealistic, they are shot down in flames. When a reader doesn't meet those expectations, they are also shot down in flames... It's almost like readers are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

if a reader explained what the term psychic meant, and that readings while looking at future events, will always bring the past and present in more because it's by looking at the past and present a person gets the tools to be able to move forward... they are considered poor readers.... if a reader explains to a person that with the connection, information comes through yes, but that information will be what the person needs to hear, which isn't always what they want to hear..... they are considered poor readers... unfortunately, I think the fact people want the unrealistic in favour of the type of readings that would really help them, pens readers into this small tiny fence at times...

When it comes to the future, a lot of the time when people have specific questions and demand definites, all a reader can tell them is what they feel the outcome would be.. or lie in the case of many of the phone readers.. (the latter being something I disagree with)... there isn't an open access channel to the future..... and no reader, no matter how good they are have all the answers... all a reader can do is help someone.. and this includes looking at the past, unpicking the present, and helping the person move on to the future they deserve... there is no short cut or quick fix..... when it comes to the future, nothing is cast in stone or definite :-)

05-07-2013, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 02:13 PM by chrisw316.)
The term psychic to most people means someone that has abilities the average person does not.. One of which is to be able to see the future!

Like it or not icemaiden that what most people want when calling or contacting a psychic!

Some people waffle on about how we all have the ability to be psychic...blah blah blah.. No we don't, if we do you think that half the bad shit that happens would be seen and stopped?

Icemaiden you try and come across as someone that knows more than everyone else on the subject yet you show a real lack of common sense!

The reason people contact psychics IS for ANSWERS! What would be the point otherwise?

Look people will always need advice from time to time and that's fair enough.. But being a psychic that charges money for having paranormal abilities is a totally different matter!

Is that not clear to see or understand?