Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi Guys
19-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi Guys
I'm new here. Want to tell you all when I was a student some years ago at uni. I was struggling for money whilst I was studying for my degree, so I took lots of p/t jobs such as working in kitchens and bar work, whilst doing intense studying and knackered on my feet trying to earn money which was badly needed. My girlfriend at that time came across an ad for psychic readers wanted for busy psychic company, against my protests she made me call them. To-cut-a-long-story-short I ended up taking a job on the phones as a psychic despite not being in the least psychic. I pretended I had been reading and was given a test reading the following day. I was trembling and nearly pulled out, then going round waterstones that afternoon my girlfriend spotted a book by Mark Lewis on cold reading which I purchased. It contained paragraphs of cold readings that matched 100% of all people 80% of the time. I used some of the sayings in my test reading the following day. I thought I flunked it when the person testing me was silent, but to my surprise she told me to stop 10 mins into the reading and said I'd passed. I was given an ID no and pin no to log on the phones. I'd never seen a deck of tarot cards in my life, I would flick the pages and callers would assume I was shuffling cards. I had a variety of set paragraphs from my book that I would recite. 90% of the callers were women with relationship issues and to a lesser extent career. I would give a happy ending without being too sugary, after a while I got into the swing of things and could recite sayings by memory. I'm ashamed to say it was easy money for a student, whilst my friends were working their arse off at McDonalds and bar work for a pittance I was working from the comfort of my room. I had women come back for more. I guess there are proper psychics working on them, but I wouldn't know because I didn't have contact with the other readers, but lots of callers said what I told them tied in with what other readers forecast. My earnings kept me propped up in my happy student days. This was a few years ago, since I obtained my degree and started working I stopped working for the psychic company. I'm not particularly proud of what I did to earn money and daresay some will be judgemental. But I was young and it was in the past and desperately needed money. So, I guess my message is don't always trust what a psychic tells you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 05:39 PM
RE: Hi Guys
(19-01-2014 05:33 PM)iamacolincookfan Wrote:  Welcome home Troubleshooter.

I'm Steve, who's troubleshooter?
19-01-2014, 05:44 PM
(19-01-2014 05:33 PM)iamacolincookfan Wrote:  Welcome home Troubleshooter.

No he cant be, he said their could be proper psychics on the phones lol..TS would never admit to that, unless he's changed his approach Smile
19-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Spooky Steve, I realise you've been honest, but I don't think that was a very ethical way to earn money regardless of being a student short of money. Surely doing something like that strips you of your self respect?
19-01-2014, 06:03 PM
(19-01-2014 05:52 PM)Alesha Wrote:  Spooky Steve, I realise you've been honest, but I don't think that was a very ethical way to earn money regardless of being a student short of money. Surely doing something like that strips you of your self respect?

I guess in those days I looked on it as easy money. It was an experience so I don't look upon that episode of my life stripping me of self-respect. Don't forget I did carry out a test reading fairly and squarely. I didn't think I would get through but I did. I haven't said there were not genuine psychics working on there, to be quite honest I didn't investigate and didnt care. To me it was just a means of earning some extra cash. It's tempting for anybody young and in need. Would I do it now? The answer is no.
19-01-2014, 06:08 PM
(19-01-2014 06:00 PM)iamacolincookfan Wrote:  What is he expecting a group hug? He took money under false pretences, preyed on people going through a difficult time and then pretends to be a white Knight telling us that there are psychics who are not genuine. Wow Sherlock Holmes would be out of business with you SS.

I'm not pretending to be a white knight. Haven't you ever been in a situation when you need money? Prior to that I was doing bar work, finishing in the early hours of the morning sometimes about 6am. I had to be in the classroom for lectures at 9. So when I had the chance of easy money I grabbed it.
19-01-2014, 06:11 PM
What makes me laugh is that people don't need to pick up a book on cold reading.. all people have to do to read the tarot cards is actually learn the meanings and learn how to interpret them, then ta da... you can read them... there is not some elite gifted few.... tarot readers, psychic readers.. all of them have just developed a skill, something they have, something they are good at......

And well, when people use the cold reading method and race off to earn money, it gives everyone else a bad name... and there just is no justification for it all in the slightest.... because it takes a few weeks to get a good working idea of tarot cards... but I guess this is the day and age where people want the money without bothering to put the work in *sigh*

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
19-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm sorry to hear you all look at it that way. I really don't know how anybody could compare this with prostitution or stealing. Cheating yes. Nobody is perfect, when you are young the temptation is wide open to you. I was trying to be honest. I don't expect to be applauded. I don't really have any interest in tarot, as my career now is so far removed from the psychic world. People work on all sorts of scams to make a living, but I don't see what I did was wrong, cheating and cutting corners I agree, but certainly not stealing.
19-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Hi spooky steve, would you mind telling us the company you worked for? Suppose it does reiterate the testing to work on the phones is totally bs. We all knew that anyway.
19-01-2014, 06:39 PM
If you can't see how low that was to cheat vulnerable people paying good money for something you knew you were not qualified to do in my opinion is the lowest of the low.Dont start saying it was because you were young and vulnerable because you must have been over 18 if you were at university?Selfish Steve would have been a more apt user name for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Goodbye Guys Enrico 4 680 02-04-2015 06:06 PM
Last Post: pollypocket
  Any suggestions guys? Cruelladeville 17 2,286 18-12-2014 10:36 PM
Last Post: Enrico
  From a Guys Angle Mr KoolJ 101 13,146 18-01-2014 10:15 PM
Last Post: Icemaiden