Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A (phone) psychic's perspective (Q&A)
29-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Rainbow A (phone) psychic's perspective (Q&A)
Greetings all! Hope you are enjoying the holidays. This being my first post here, it's also an attempt at a presentation. I discovered this forum earlier this year, and was quite intrigued by it, but have been too busy in the past few months to register as a member. With a couple of weeks off now, I decided to join the discussions. So hello everybody! Smile

As my username implies, I'm a psychic (and a medium) myself. In the past year I decided to give phone readings a go, and was hired by this smaller company with just a few readers on staff - just what I wanted. Larger agencies seems so impersonal to me. Also worth mentioning is that I'm not in the UK, but was offered a job as a phone psychic in the UK at about the same time as I got the one here. I went through the tests in both countries almost simultaneously, funny enough. So I'm familiar with both markets. Plus my private practice spans internationally. Anyway...

Being involved in the spiritual community both in Europe and in North America, I have friends and colleagues who've worked for these phone lines, and no one has enjoyed it - even remotely. Which also explains why these companies tend to have a high employee turnover. It's a very lonely venture, and the actual money the readers earn are usually peanuts. Out of the about 2GPB/min, a fourth or a fifth goes to us (depending on the contract of course).

As it's rather spendy to call in, it creates a stressful situation, where the clients (rightfully so) expects immediate connections and answers, to make the call as short as possible. And that's not always possible. In my own practice I usually try to have a quick meditation before a reading, to calm the energies and create a pleasant environment, which is impossible in this scenario. Which is why I gave up on the phone work after a couple of months, and only do it extremely occasionally these days, like the days when the manager runs out of readers. But the experience also taught me a lot about myself, my abilities and my boundaries.

In this forum, I see a lot of disappointed clients, and I can relate to, understand and respect their experience. But it's interesting being on the other side of it. My collective experience, my own and that of people I know, is that clients frequently have unrealistic expectations on the readers, and some are not interested in what we have to say at all, but want us to confirm whatever their vision for themselves are.

When I write unrealistic expectations, I mean people who call in and instantly expect us to know everything about them and their lives, like we are some kind of omniscient beings. Well, we're not. Psychics can only sense as much as the client's auric field allows them to. Which is why I in my practice meditate with the client, to make them relaxed and open up. It is possible to break through that auric barrier, but that involves a lot of energy, which is hard to muster in a stressful situation like a phone reading. So trying to "test" a psychic under these conditions is not in the client's best interest. On the other side, being open doesn't translate into telling the psychic everything, in order to get to the advice in the shortest time possible. Divulging your entire life story can be confusing for the reader, and keep them from staying unbiased and focused.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that no psychic can connect to all people. Just because one client had a great reading, doesn't mean that any of their friends or part of family will too. So recommendations, as well intended and sincere as they might be, are not necessarily anything to go by. So if a person left good reviews for a particular psychic, and you yourself had a horrible reading with the same one, it doesn't mean they're a fraud - only that they were unable to read you. When I was doing this work, I'd kindly ask the client to hang up the phone after a couple of minutes if I wasn't getting anything.

Then there are those people who call in without any interest in what you as a reader has to say. They just want you to confirm their own - usually - delusions. There's actually quite a lot of these kind of calls. Some even get mad if you dare to oppose them. Frequently I had a sense that the money they spent on these lines could've been better used on a psychologist. A psychic reading really isn't the be-all and end-all to life's problems. And if you want one, then why not go to see a psychic in person? I still don't understand the appeal of calling in to a psychic hotline - especially several times a day!

As for predictions, timeframes can be difficult to produce. It's also a philosophical conundrum, determinism versus free will. I'm not sure what to make of it myself, to be honest. It seems to be a mixture of both, and sometimes predictions don't come true. Or they do, but in completely different ways than expected. And nobody wants to be a bearer of bad news, which is why I suspect a lot of us, readers, try to put a positive spin on things, which the client then interprets as we telling them their future is bright. And so the outcome of prediction can be the result of a miscommunication.

So as you can see, psychic business is extremely complicated. Even though there certainly are a few fraudsters preying on people, I believe most readers are genuine. If you have any questions about phone psychics, or psychics in general, I'll gladly answer them. In the meantime, blessings to you all. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2014, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2014 06:55 AM by Star111.)
RE: A (phone) psychic's perspective (Q&A)
As for predictions, timeframes can be difficult to produce. It's also a philosophical conundrum, determinism versus free will. I'm not sure what to make of it myself, to be honest. It seems to be a mixture of both, and sometimes predictions don't come true. Or they do, but in completely different ways than expected. And nobody wants to be a bearer of bad news, which is why I suspect a lot of us, readers, try to put a positive spin on things, which the client then interprets as we telling them their future is bright. And so the outcome of prediction can be the result of a miscommunication.

Thank you for your post, especially the above paragraph. Very true - and I'm glad you have held your hands up and said you don't really understand free will or fate! It's refreshing to hear and I don't think anyone can really make sense of how it all works ... Lastly, many predictions for me have come true, but in different ways then expected, I don't think a reading can say x,y and z will happen and then it does - it's always in a different way.
Someone asked me why negative readings seem to happen - well if the prediction is not what someone wants, it's never as easy as sayin yes that psychic was correct because there is so much more to life and situations than what a psychic is able to obtain in a 20 minute reading - the source (ie where a psychic obtains the info) doesn't give straight and direct info, there always seems to be a twist x
30-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I totally agree, Star111. And to be honest, I don't believe anybody has the answer to that conundrum. In this human existence of ours, we're constantly expanding our knowledge, but we're far from omniscient. And psychics are only people too, so it's ludicrous to expect us to know everything. Yet, I know that some psychics advertise themselves by claiming some kind of divinity, to know it all. But I would be very leery of anybody making such claims. If anything, we're all divine. And all of us possess some degree of intuition, the tricky part is to learn to listen to it. While working at the hotline, I would try to guide my clients to open up to their own wisdom. And if they called more than twice, I'd asked them to stop calling. Nobody needs more than one reading per year - if even!

Not sure if any of you ever saw "The British Psychic Challenge", which I guess was on a few years ago, but I watched just recently after finding it online. But even the country's top psychics aren't correct 100% of the time, or even 75% - perhaps only 50%. That's because the psychic ability is very diverse, and different psychics has their own specialties, like some excel in readings, while others in spirit communication, talking to animals, finding objects etc. And the quality of the ability also depends on human factors, like a psychic can have a bad day. Most of us, unlike the oracle of Delphi, are immersed in everyday life - just like everybody else on this planet! Smile
01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
This meme (attached image) showed up in my Facebook feed today, and I couldn't resist sharing it with you all, because it's sort of accurate and funny. Tongue

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Hi aPsychic-- I too work on a busy uk psychic hotline part time -- I have an ordinary job which is my main source of income -- I also do private readings at my home -- I am a trained counsellor too. I choose to describe myself as a clairvoyant rather than a psychic.
APsychic -- I used to work as a phone reader full time -- I have worked for many of the major companies in the uk including the famous psychic shows on TV. I stopped working full time because I hated the job -- it was rather like working on an assembly line in a factory -- if you take your job seriously you will understand my meaning..
Your quite entitled to ask why I still do this p/t -- the answers simple -- for extra money. There's no crime in that either -- I'm honest. But that doesn't mean to say that I don't take my job as a phone reader seriously - I give each and every call 100% of my ability and honesty. I do read cards -- but mainly runes -- crystal ball or hands-free which I prefer. I am also a qualified counceller therapist --I use this in my private practice. My specialities include remote viewing, scrying whether it be by a glass bowl of water, crystal, I can also do palm reading.
I don't enjoy working on the phones lines one bit -- I do not apologise for saying this either. I used to work full time on the phone lines and hated every minute of it. That's why I work for the council now -- the public sector because I find it so much more rewarding helping people who are homeless -- they don't have the money to reach out for the phone to consult a psychic when something goes wrong -- they have more things to worry about.
As APsychic has mentioned -- so much disappointment has been going in this forum for years -- I've often viewed this forum long before I decided to join -- I agree that people have the most unrealistic expectations from a reading. We're expected to know actual dates and time when something will happen which is very hit and miss. A phone psychic is often used as a punchbag - not by all but some -- I have found on Kooma in particular when I read for people they can be very rude expecting the most accurate answers to the most ridiculous questions -- insisting that they get the answer that the married lover is unhappy or he will be back -- not wanting the truth -- yet when this ex doesn't return they are the first to slate the psychic in question -- in fact quite a few members on here I'm sure are guilty of that -- no offence. A reading is a mixture of both fate and freewill -- both go hand- in- hand. They're are some bloody good readers on the phone but also some that shouldn't be doing this kind of work -- many as APsychic has said -- buy a pack of cards and believe they can read. Unfortunately the phone companies are full of those readers which make it bad for the genuine ones.
When I read for a sitter in private -- they have to keep they're mouth shut at the start of the reading -- I conduct a full comprehensive reading -- if a sitter gets stroppy and only wishes to know if ex will return -- then I refund their money and they leave the premises. I will discuss health, legal, financial and most certainly pregnancy and of course love -- but not waste time and go into unnecessary things.
All phone companies carry out the "entertainments only" disclaimer -- they are just sales, the reader has to be careful that the caller dosesn't come away from the reading with loss of hope.
Events never happen as expected -- the future unfolds in mysterious ways -- sometimes the ex does return -- maybe after a time has passed. I do agree that some people really do need counselling rather than a reading.
I hope I haven't upset anyone here with my outspoken views -- if I have I apologise -- but don't take back a thing I have said.
03-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Enrico, you really do confirm what I already know, that no respectable psychic/medium enjoys working for these hotlines. Mind you, I only did it for a few months, but that was more than enough. It's such a whole different experience than a regular sitting face to face. I mean, I had great reading, it's not that, but the concept doesn't allow for thorough readings and healing. And quite a few callers could be very abusive, treating me like dirt (or a punchbag, as you wrote) and say the most vile things. It's not that I don't get where they're coming from, because many people who call these line do it out of desperation. And the unrealistic expectations are so counterproductive. Then there's the other category who believes everything you tell them, and I don't like that at all. I expect my sitters to be discerning. And finally I had callers who just wanted to chat with me because I was so nice and understanding, which is heart warming, but they could do it for a lot less money at the "friend-in-need" lines, which are free. Too many times I had to tell people to stop calling in. So I quit. And so have most of the people I know, i e other psychics and mediums. One of my friends, a very gifted medium, is currently working at a hotline by one of this country's most famous medium, and she says that it's very different from other phone work she's done previously, because it attracts a whole different cliental. It's more low-key and prestigious. But I think I'll stick with private sittings, and running workshops to help others develop their own intuition. It's far more rewarding.

And I don't think you have upset anybody, only spoken your truth, which is important. So thank you for sharing. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  £50 a month for over the phone healing Star111 6 1,376 27-01-2014 09:09 PM
Last Post: alf0406
  It's All Down To Perspective Icemaiden 0 887 26-08-2013 01:43 PM
Last Post: Icemaiden
  phone lines anser all ?s gabriel 1 894 27-06-2013 09:53 AM
Last Post: Hangingpants
  is psychic phone lines worth the money?? chrisw316 0 811 12-05-2013 11:37 PM
Last Post: chrisw316