Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Skeptics in the Pub
31-08-2015, 03:20 AM
Skeptics in the Pub
Skeptics in the Pub-

It was my brother who pulled me into this. Thinking and drinking, humour and debate. Monthly talks and challenging discussions for people interested in science, critical thinking, evidence-based policy, or just life-long learning. Myths are debunked, accepted wisdom is challenged, new discoveries are celebrated.
The meetings are open to all and free to attend, though they do collect voluntary donations towards their expenses. It's a laugh -- where I am it's just a bunch of Mancunian skeptics a few psychics get together in the pub to discuss science, history, maths or whatever- agree or disagree — sometimes with a guest speaker, sometimes without. If the pub’s not your thing then it's to bad - I love a pub and an argument that usually ends up in an overheated debate-
You don’t have to be a member to come to the events, everyone and anyone is welcome — even if you disagree with the speaker - which I often do -- wherever you are come along. Look on google to see where there's one in your area. If some of you hold grudges and vendettas against the feeling you've been conned by readers/healers - then vent your anger there - who knows, they may be in a position to help you a lot more than people on this forum can-Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2015, 04:16 PM
RE: Skeptics in the Pub
I'm also an on/off member of Skeptics in the pub. I'm friends with the organiser in my area. As I'm a firm believer in psychics I tend to get carried away when a debate gets under way, end up flustered, hot & bothered. It's not just psychic/skeptic discussions that take place but all sorts of consumer products are discussed. A brilliant post Enrico, something a little different from the usual.
06-09-2015, 12:55 AM
Hi everyone, I'm a new lady here so please be kind to me. I saw this thread about Skeptics in the Pub that interested me as I am a member myself, belong to a Skeptic forum, go to meetings when I have time.

No there is absolutely no such thing as psychics or psychic powers. these people who claim to be psychics, have trained long and hard to recognize human behavior and make intellectual guesses. people want to believe what they are saying, and that just aids in the lies. if you have ever seen a television show or gone to a "real" psychic, pay very close attention to the questions they ask. they are all very vague questions that allow the believers to make something out of nothing. one of the most common questions is "have you recently lost some one close to you?" that question is ridiculous if you pay attention. people die all the time the chance of someone dying that you know are astronomical. also what does close to you mean, it could mean a family member it could be a close friend or neighbor. for chirst's sake it could be a family pet. and what does recently mean i could mean yesterday it could mean 5 years ago, its all retrospective. and if someone does say they lost someone, the "psychic" will say something like "your loved one does't want you to be sad any more" or "they want to to move on". these are the easiest ways to trick some one you are telling them what they truly want to hear, trying to make them feel better. and have you ever notices "psychics" never say anything that doesn't prove strong emotions. its either strong hatred, strong self-pity, Strong sadness, or strong love. its never hey maybe tomorrow you'll find a fifty pound note on the ground. Thats because when you toy with people's emotions. they forget about facts and science and begin to believe the lies. "psychics" are scam artists who are good at getting people to talk for them. no such thing as psychics nor will there ever be.
06-09-2015, 03:17 PM
I've got better things to do than join a skeptics group. My experience with psychic ability is they are all fakes agreed. If there is evidence of anybody who possesses any natural ability to link into the future - I've yet to see it.
06-09-2015, 06:20 PM
It's quite hilarious really. My husbands a skeptic, doesn't believe in anything supernatural which causes us a few arguments at times. He used to go to a few meetings but stopped going blaming me, implying I'm a total embarrassment just because I do readings and work with Angel & Tarot cards. It's so funny you couldn't make it up. He said he had to discontinue the meetings as he would never live it down if any of his friends found out that i work as a psychic.
17-10-2015, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2015 02:45 PM by imamegamegaloser.)
Anyone can be skeptical on any topic matter. A skeptic of a scientific theory will have their skepticism based on the science. Any other reasons would be more correctly identified as being in denial of the science. As long as you want to do a little word play, let us also do a little word association. Skeptic/Science/Ideology.
23-11-2015, 06:12 PM
(17-10-2015 01:47 PM)imamegamegaloser Wrote:  Anyone can be skeptical on any topic matter. A skeptic of a scientific theory will have their skepticism based on the science. Any other reasons would be more correctly identified as being in denial of the science. As long as you want to do a little word play, let us also do a little word association. Skeptic/Science/Ideology.
24-11-2015, 08:40 AM
i like critical thought, but i would at the same time like to keep an open mind regarding the existence of spiritual world.

Thats because i do have evidence as i described in another forum that spiritual world exists (the evidence i have were not based on a good experience though).
24-11-2015, 12:06 PM
most of the ppl do believe (including me)that spirit have there own world,like us,some spirits bare very good,they can quide us,warn us,but some are not good enough they juss try to harm innocent ppl.
24-11-2015, 03:37 PM
I like going down the pub for a social evening.. But sorry, can't see any entertainment with a group of bods trying to outdo each other as who is the most intelligent...

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now. ***** Morrissey