Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
$1 Million Challenge to prove you're psychic!
11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
$1 Million Challenge to prove you're psychic!
I found this article about JREF (The James Randi Educational Foundation) and how it aims to expose psychics and mediums for deceiving people of their money. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dj-grothe/...98908.html

The interesting part is where it says for more than a decade they've been offering a $1 million challenge to anyone who can demonstrate genuine psychic ability without cheating.

I'm sure they'd be someone around here up for the challenge!

Spread the word, let's get a few TV psychics to take the challenge.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2011, 08:54 AM
RE: $1 Million Challenge to prove you're psychic!
I really hope someone we know on here goes for this challenge. I wonder what the test is like? It sounds fascinating; if I was psychic I'd certainly be giving it a go. Nothing to lose right?

Smiles
Smile
13-10-2011, 09:09 AM
No-one here has the balls to go up for that challenge! It would be fun to see though
16-10-2011, 05:44 PM
The challenge is fundamentally flawed because no proof is enough for James Randi..... even when he has had outstanding psychic readings on TV, he STILL disputes it and doesn't call it proof.

The type of people who go for this challenge are the jokers who claim to have some amazing ability and in reality do not have it.... any genuine psychic would not risk ruining their reputation by touching this flawed test in a million years...... if you research James Randi on you tube there is some interesting stuff on there... especially when a medium got birth dates right and he is still saying they are cold reading

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
16-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Well Shelly said to me last week " has someone offered you a sofa"? and my answer was "yes..my auntie, just a few days ago" ye can't make stuff like that up! It's not an everyday occurance!! Just another flawed scheme to discredit the industry of genuine real psychics!
17-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey, maybe Shelly could enter this challenge. It will probably be won by someone who isn't really trying very hard anyway! LOL!

Smile
26-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Hey -- thought I'd bump up this ancient thread. I'm PO'd off with hearing about Randi's million dollar psychic challenge. Skeptics always throw James Randi's challenge in as an example. This challenge cannot be taken seriously.
First of all this challenge is meaningless by scientific standards. It's a one-off entirely controlled by one person who has NO SCIENTIFIC EXPERIENCE -- he's known to have strong views -- his challenge carries no weight whatsoever. His challenge is nothing more than a publicity stunt and he turns away some of the psychics who are up for the challenge. All it is is a publicity stunt.
He has explicitly refused to some mediums/healers/clairvoyants who have offered to be tested for this demonstration. Randi has ignored challenges to test psychic Chris Robinson and others which Randi has never followed up on. The question is who else is he ignoring?
Skeptics always throw this challenge into the psychics face -- they really kid themselves it means something. Is this challenge fairly administered? I wonder! There's been a lot of threads about scientific proof from skeptic members recently. So what proof would this test bring scientifically? Given the fact that Randi has published nothing whatsoever scientific on paper. Doesn't science demand openness? The challenge is massively flawed -- it lacks third party mediation.
26-03-2015, 09:32 PM
I may be wrong, but wasn't James Randi sued a few years ago about his million dollar challenge being bogus? I don't know, but it's been going on for ages. He's set that challenge up in such a way making it impossible for any psychic to win?

I think his skeptic challenge was in deep trouble.
27-03-2015, 08:14 AM
The challenge was always a wee bit flawed because no one actually knows if there is a million dollars..... and also, if he doesn't have the money to put out when someone does prove him wrong, then it stands to reason that actually, he is never going to pay out?

However, as far as I am aware, only people with gimmicks have taken on the challenge over the years.... if any respected psychic has taken the challenge it has been kept very quiet on both sides.... there is a video on you tube of James Randi where he is given specific dates on TV by a big named medium.. I think it may have been John Edwards, and even the presenter was taken aback, and James just looked really confused when he couldn't keep arguing with the info the medium was giving him?

The problem is, with many skeptics like James Randi, they are doing it for the attention and public notoriety.. and his case the money... he has made a lot of money from being a skeptic, has managed to get himself all over the TV.... sometimes skeptics are simply skeptics for all the wrong reasons?

To be fair, when any skeptic throws this man into a discussion, you know they have nothing else to offer?

Enrico also raises some good and valid points about the basis of the test.... in order for a something to be scientifically tested, it has to be more than one man in a room... and given the man is not from the science world, he does not have the qualifications to actually run the test?

There is also a lot of questions over the test itself.... I mean in order to test a medium, you would need to have them **read** for more than one person, over a period of time in order to be able to collect data and in turn look at accuracy..... with psychics, it would be the same... more than one person, over say a period of six months, in order to test accuracy on future predictions and be able to give an average over the course of the months... as well as look at validations and specific validations....

Personally if I was conducting any form of **testing** for this kind of purpose, I would be expecting the person to read for at least 100 people over the course of say a year, and then give the findings at the end of that time?

One persons opinion, ie james Randi, is not enough
27-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Randi believes in zero -- nothing. Because he was once a magician he bases all his thought process from his own viewpoint rather than examine it thoughtfully. He is just as biased as any of those he calls charlatans. Most sensible psychics wouldn't be bothered with $1,000,000 bullshit prize. He's just the typical skeptic that will never be satisfied. Would there ever be enough proof?
He takes advantage of people who believe in nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do these stories prove dead loved ones come back to comfort us? Mediums Now 0 314 29-11-2015 09:52 PM
Last Post: Mediums Now
  30 day challenge sunbeam 3 1,787 03-09-2012 09:04 AM
Last Post: Becksie
  Grandpa the 'psychic' monkey's toughest challenge yet will be to predict GOP winner i drstrange 0 558 07-01-2012 06:08 AM
Last Post: drstrange
  Sally Morgan rejects Halloween challenge to prove her psychic powers dormammu 0 1,862 31-10-2011 05:05 PM
Last Post: dormammu