Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Life after death for Psychic News
07-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Life after death for Psychic News
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?...=48464&c=1

20 December 2011
By Christian Jensen

Britain’s oldest Spiritualist newspaper, the Psychic News, has come back from the dead under new ownership following its closure in July 2010.

The publisher Psychic Press Ltd was bought by the JV Trust in October this year and the first new issue, or issue 4,067 if counted since the newspaper’s first launch in 1932, is now out.

Formerly a weekly, Psychic News is now on sale every fortnight at Spiritualist churches and newsagents. Psychic News will also be available as an online magazine, with the first issue available for free.

The paper deals with spiritual, supernatural and paranormal issues; one article by co-founder Hannen Swaffer detailed an allaged conversation with the spirit of press baron Lord Northcliffe.

“When Psychic News was launched 80 years ago, there was very little information about Spiritualism in the mainstream media so it fulfilled a great need,” said Susan Farrow, editor and managing director of the new company.

“Today, it’s difficult to find a newspaper, magazine or TV channel that doesn’t feature Spiritualism in some form on a regular basis. That, inevitably, had an impact on our sales, though I have to say that many of the mainstream media stories – particularly about celebrities – are astonishing for their lack of credibility or critical assessment.”

COMMENTS

Disqus
Dislike

Showing 3 comments

woollybully
Well, who'd have predicted that? I was a sub on Psychic News for a short time back in the very early 1970s when the offices were in Great Queen Street. One of the advertising ladies once 'saw' a ghostly figure in a wheelchair in my office; couldn't see it myself though.

Stella Storm, one of the staff writers used to turn up for work with her hair still wet from her early morning dip in the sea at Brighton. The urbane Maurice Barbanell, a friend of founder Hannen Swaffer, was editor at the time.

Seeing the paper to bed at QB, the printers in Colchester, involved us Other Siders sharing a minibus from the station with the Furry Freaks from the Melody Maker. Strange looking band were we. . .
Like Reply
2 weeks ago 1 Like

Roy Stemman
The Press Gazette sub who worked on this story has committed what Hannen Swaffer called "a capital offence": spelling Spiritualism with a lower case "s". It's a common journalistic error, but as woollybully will know from his time on the Psychic News, Spiritualism is a recognised religion in this country and deserves the same treatment as others, such as Buddhism, Hinduism or Christianity. After all, even Scientology gets a cap "s" in most publications!
Like Reply
2 weeks ago

Dominic Ponsford
Thanks Roy, errant lower case "s" has now been changed.
Like Reply
2 weeks ago in reply to Roy Stemman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Its not good news for Megan dormammu 0 179 28-05-2017 07:08 AM
Last Post: dormammu
  The US Psychic Programme: Not Yesterday’s News, But Tomorrow’s News Mediums Now 0 184 26-03-2017 09:28 PM
Last Post: Mediums Now
  my Psychic Life Channel 4 psychicdoglover 8 2,033 07-12-2015 11:27 AM
Last Post: dormammu
  Does anyone have any nice news? Yes/no 37 5,719 28-06-2015 02:12 PM
Last Post: ally
Heart Near Death Experiences Cruelladeville 11 1,219 08-06-2015 04:24 PM
Last Post: Alesha
Shocked HAPPY NEWS _OUTCOME_ RESULTS Twilight 8 1,528 18-02-2015 03:51 PM
Last Post: Icemaiden2