Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Expectations
28-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Expectations
A couple of things I have read on here today got me thinking, and I didn't want to rail road someone else's thread with this so thought I would start a new one.

I am quite open about the fact I am a reader... I don't read for a phone line or for any company, and I believe in what I do, and what many others do. But there is a huge difference between a reader and a fortune teller, and because of the whole Tv phenomenon that now goes with being psychic, there is no longer a distinction between the two for many, with expectations on all readers to be fortune tellers.

Psychic readings should give a person guidance.... it should help a person make sense of what is going on around them, and help them look towards the future. it should help a person look at what is perhaps blocking them, look at all aspects of what they are wanting to know, and look at it from an intuitive angle as opposed to just talking it over with a friend.

Fortune telling is just that, telling someones fortune.... its what good old fashioned tarot readers can do (some a lot better than others), its what that little lady on the pier does.... you know, the one who calls herself gypsy something or other and you have to cross her palm with money to get your palm read. And to be fair, a lot of those women are amazing... I was brought up to always believe in the power of gypsys, and have had amazing readings off of the gypsy something or others at the pier :-)

There are so many different types of readings and readers... but today, people seem to assume that they are all the same, all work in the same way, and will all be able to make the grand predictions, after all they are psychic, therefore they should have all the answers right? But... if psychics had all the answers, then everyones lives would be perfect, none of us would learn any lessons, and we wouldn't really live as such, or ever reach our potential, or learn from our mistakes... and this is why psychics don't have all the answers, and can only help guide a person from what the cards say, from what they pick up around a person etc etc.

Then we get to the future.... and the future is not cast in stone. The fact we all have free will means that one small change we make, or one small change another person in the situation makes, can ultimately change the outcome of any one given situation... this isn't a psychic get out clause, this is the reality of the future.... yes, psychics can and do make predictions, although the predictive readers generally fall under the category of fortune teller... but the whole idea of predictions are not cast in stone.. events can change, and they do change..... this happens because people have free will. We are all masters of our own destiny, and can change our own future at any given moment by making one small tiny change, or making one small tiny decision to do one small little thing differently. After all, getting the bus instead of driving to work could be where a person meets the *one* despite the fact that person is wanting to get back with their ex..... applying for a job you see on the spur of the moment, and getting it, is why a person doesn't get the predicted promotion.... etc etc

The truth is, everyone is born with psychic ability...... its simply another sense. How do babies know that if they cry, they will get fed... they know this intuitively, and from the minute a baby is born, they work on intuition... we are born with the ability to develop that sense..... many do, some people choose not to... but we all have it in its raw form in some way..... and like riding a bike or reading and writing, we have to work on it to get better, to improve... we have to develop that natural raw ability.

I am a reader, and as I won't read for myself, I have the odd reading now and again..... but I use that reading as a guide and never live my life by what is said to me.... I often tune in and watch psychic TV, have sent the odd text in, and if I ever had a spare 40 quid and fancied a reading I would wait until Hazel was on as she always comes across as very down to earth, but I wouldn't spend all my money on daily or weekly readings.... people should leave a few months between readings, unless their whole life changes, and give readings a chance to pan out..... find a reader you gel with and stick with them... after all, if a person goes from one reader to another, there will be conflicting interpretations of what a person is picking up... and this is the biggest point of all about readings, is that all readers do is interpret what they are seeing, feeling and picking up..... what they are seeing in the cards.. or in someones energy.... and all readers will interpret differently... :-)

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 08:31 AM
RE: Expectations
Thanks for sharing the different types of reading and readers.
29-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Yes this makes sense.. if I want to check the possibility of something I need to see i go to a trusted clairvoyant..but on the whole I find mediums can be particularly sensitive to a depth of field..but I nolonger assume that they are automatically right..or that predictions are definite..and yes only using a couple of readers who can offer a full rounded possible perspective..really important..also I find then that their perception grows with the situation..as more information unfolds...
02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
(28-02-2012 10:12 PM)Icemaiden Wrote:  A couple of things I have read on here today got me thinking, and I didn't want to rail road someone else's thread with this so thought I would start a new one.

I am quite open about the fact I am a reader... I don't read for a phone line or for any company, and I believe in what I do, and what many others do. But there is a huge difference between a reader and a fortune teller, and because of the whole Tv phenomenon that now goes with being psychic, there is no longer a distinction between the two for many, with expectations on all readers to be fortune tellers.

Psychic readings should give a person guidance.... it should help a person make sense of what is going on around them, and help them look towards the future. it should help a person look at what is perhaps blocking them, look at all aspects of what they are wanting to know, and look at it from an intuitive angle as opposed to just talking it over with a friend.

Fortune telling is just that, telling someones fortune.... its what good old fashioned tarot readers can do (some a lot better than others), its what that little lady on the pier does.... you know, the one who calls herself gypsy something or other and you have to cross her palm with money to get your palm read. And to be fair, a lot of those women are amazing... I was brought up to always believe in the power of gypsys, and have had amazing readings off of the gypsy something or others at the pier :-)

There are so many different types of readings and readers... but today, people seem to assume that they are all the same, all work in the same way, and will all be able to make the grand predictions, after all they are psychic, therefore they should have all the answers right? But... if psychics had all the answers, then everyones lives would be perfect, none of us would learn any lessons, and we wouldn't really live as such, or ever reach our potential, or learn from our mistakes... and this is why psychics don't have all the answers, and can only help guide a person from what the cards say, from what they pick up around a person etc etc.

Then we get to the future.... and the future is not cast in stone. The fact we all have free will means that one small change we make, or one small change another person in the situation makes, can ultimately change the outcome of any one given situation... this isn't a psychic get out clause, this is the reality of the future.... yes, psychics can and do make predictions, although the predictive readers generally fall under the category of fortune teller... but the whole idea of predictions are not cast in stone.. events can change, and they do change..... this happens because people have free will. We are all masters of our own destiny, and can change our own future at any given moment by making one small tiny change, or making one small tiny decision to do one small little thing differently. After all, getting the bus instead of driving to work could be where a person meets the *one* despite the fact that person is wanting to get back with their ex..... applying for a job you see on the spur of the moment, and getting it, is why a person doesn't get the predicted promotion.... etc etc

The truth is, everyone is born with psychic ability...... its simply another sense. How do babies know that if they cry, they will get fed... they know this intuitively, and from the minute a baby is born, they work on intuition... we are born with the ability to develop that sense..... many do, some people choose not to... but we all have it in its raw form in some way..... and like riding a bike or reading and writing, we have to work on it to get better, to improve... we have to develop that natural raw ability.

I am a reader, and as I won't read for myself, I have the odd reading now and again..... but I use that reading as a guide and never live my life by what is said to me.... I often tune in and watch psychic TV, have sent the odd text in, and if I ever had a spare 40 quid and fancied a reading I would wait until Hazel was on as she always comes across as very down to earth, but I wouldn't spend all my money on daily or weekly readings.... people should leave a few months between readings, unless their whole life changes, and give readings a chance to pan out..... find a reader you gel with and stick with them... after all, if a person goes from one reader to another, there will be conflicting interpretations of what a person is picking up... and this is the biggest point of all about readings, is that all readers do is interpret what they are seeing, feeling and picking up..... what they are seeing in the cards.. or in someones energy.... and all readers will interpret differently... :-)

As I now see that you are yourself a reader I understand you become a little hostile over the whole scenario re: predictions.

You say that you believe in what you do ? So do I believe in what I do wholeheartedly. Obviously you are the reader who gives guidance by Tarot Cards and possibly Doreen Virtue Angel Cards. As I have said in my other post people would expect more from me than an hours of guidance. In fact they would be most dissapointed.

Incidents have been predicted. I have had premonitions when I was very young, the fact is nobody believed me. It was then I visited a Spiritulist Church to make sense of this. A medium took me under her wing and explained things to me. I also know clairvoyants that help police in their investigations.
02-02-2013, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013 08:26 PM by Icemaiden.)
@MissSaigon.... I don't think I am the one who has been hostile over predictions, I simply think there are an array of explanations as to what they are and why we get them. Like I said on the other thread, an open mind is one that considers all possibilities :-).

Oh and yes, I can and do read with cards, but don't need them to read (I find people like them, especially when doing in person readings and fairs and such like). I am also a reiki healer and my work focuses more on healing :-). Yes I have many decks of oracle cards but do not use them for reading with. (other than for daily guidance for myself). And yes, I much prefer to guide people when reading in order to help them get themselves on the right path in order for them to achieve their goals and get to where they want to be. But it's up to the person I am reading for as to what type of reading they are wanting. :-). I guess I believe very much in people taking control of their lives and self empowerment as well as self healing and such like :-). People don't always get self empowerment from endless predictions in a reading but none of the information given to help them get to those predictions.

80's goth. There is a lot to be said for the gypsy on the pier. My nan used to believe so much in the power of gypsy magic and that has stayed with me... to the point of me buying a fivers worth of mistle toe off of a gypsy at xmas... and I will always buy lucky heather, and I love it when I can get a reading with a good old fashioned gypsy who just holds your hand, closes her eyes and reads for you. It is way cool.

Everyone will read differently because we are all meant to be doing different things. Many will have developed abilities that over lap on the different areas, but we are all here to help others in different ways... just because I can do certain things, doesn't necessarily mean I a meant to be using them for my work (if that makes sense)... for example, I am a medium... I have not developed this ability and I have never been drawn to developing it. I can do it, but I will not advertise as a medium and always state if someone comes through I will pass the info on, but that's as far as it goes with me.

That's the great thing about spiritual work, we as people evolve as we do our work, and what we start out doing should change and evolve as time goes on. :-)

03-02-2013, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 02:25 AM by misssaigon.)
Icemaiden. I cannot understand why you were not more up-front about being a reader? This thread is after all nearly a year old. I think it's cool to have psychics on this type of forum.

I must confess Reiki Healing is a subject I know little about. I have been invited many a time to join a healing circle at the church, but it is not my forte. The mention of Psychic Fairs brings me much nostalgia of when I used to travel to them before I was married. I have nothing against Tarot Cards, in fact I must own about 200 decks. I am not a medium myself, though I do sometimes pick up spirit.

80sgoth. I do agree that the standard of psychics on the media today is pathetic and not a patch on what they used to be. Yes. I agree the gypsy certainly had a lot of charm and character. I loved the rawness of them, some of the best readings could be found by the Romany Woman. My Great Grandma was a Gypsy. My grandma would read the tea leaves that she had learned from her mother. There are also many herbal remedies that were used by the gypsy. These did actually work.

I have a lot of knowledge about the occult 80sgoth. Regarding your question about White Magic, what is the nature of this you require it for? Before I say more...there is no difference between white or black, it is the INTENT that counts. Does it work? Sometimes. I would not recommend you to dabble in something you know little about, it interferes with the laws of nature. For instance you cannot use it to bring an ex back, anything that interferes with changing somebody's free will is dangerous, or even to wish for money is unwise, as there is a payback. It is like the old saying:- Be careful what you wish for:

Magic whether black or white draws power from the same source. All magic taps into an unknown presence that is controlled by ritual or formula. Magic actually has no colour. It is the intent of the user.

If I were you I would go for Cosmic Ordering instead. This is of a much milder form initially brought in by the Americans and is used in everyday life by people today. Basically it's harmless wishing. I think people occasionally get muddled between the two through ignorance.
03-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I wasn't not upfront about it MissSaigon..... You assumed and I simply didn't correct you. It has been mentioned on a few threads so it's not something that's hidden :-).

While it's may not be your forte, you should consider going along to a healing circle. It has so many benefits, especially with mind body and spirit. Healing in it's basic form works on the bodies energy. Reiki is quite a popular form of alternative healing, but there are many other ways. You don't need to be attuned to be able to send a form of healing, it's all about energy and how we as people access it, use it, and send it :-). I did my reiki attunements a few years ago now but had been working with energy and healing for years. It seemed like a natural progression.

Regarding Magick 80'sgoth. I agree with MissSaigon about how magick is what it is and it is the intent that defines whether it's white or dark. I believe very much in Magick, but I am pagan so I would LOL. However you need to be careful in the time of spells as there can be a real kick back with them.... also, spells may not always work out how we expect them too.

If you are interested in learning more about Witchcraft, Scott Cunningham has quite a few books around that are really helpful and teach you the basics. There is also the times three rule... what you give out to others you get back three fold. Miss Saigon is also right in how you shouldn't use magick to go against the free will of another.

People think that being pagan you cast spells all the time, but in reality, it's not like that. It's more a way of life (if that makes sense). Yes spell casting is a part of it, but I have learnt from experience that spells at times can cause more trouble than you might think. There are lots of things you can do to enhance your life without ever really casting a spell... for example, if a person is wanting to find love... rose quartz crystal on the left hand side of the bed is good for that (left for receiving). You can use things like pouches, which are technically more for attracting something than casting a spell to get it and fill them with herbs, oils and crystals, power words, symbols and such like.

If you are simply wanting to learn more about Magick I would definitely recommend Scott Cunningham and his books are available on Amazon (a wee bit cheaper than other web sites )