Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the big deal with Tarot? Novelist and card reader Daisy Waugh on why it's bec
25-12-2018, 07:28 PM
What's the big deal with Tarot? Novelist and card reader Daisy Waugh on why it's bec
I was at a party last week and a man I had known but not seen for many years – an opera singer – came bounding up to me. ‘I hear you’re a professional tarot reader these days,’ he cried. ‘How much do you charge? Or maybe I could sing you a song instead? Would you read my cards for free?’

Ah, the beauty of the sharing economy! People have offered me all sorts of things in exchange for a tarot reading: babysitting, chauffeuring, DIY… On the whole, to be frank with you, I prefer PayPal. But he was right: I read cards professionally, as well as write novels. And I’m lucky – I seem, by happy chance, to have caught the front end of a wave.

was at a party last week and a man I had known but not seen for many years – an opera singer – came bounding up to me. ‘I hear you’re a professional tarot reader these days,’ he cried. ‘How much do you charge? Or maybe I could sing you a song instead? Would you read my cards for free?’

Ah, the beauty of the sharing economy! People have offered me all sorts of things in exchange for a tarot reading: babysitting, chauffeuring, DIY… On the whole, to be frank with you, I prefer PayPal. But he was right: I read cards professionally, as well as write novels. And I’m lucky – I seem, by happy chance, to have caught the front end of a wave.

It’s extraordinary how public attitudes to the tarot have changed – even in the few short years since I first stumbled upon it. Where, four years ago, I was slightly embarrassed – even fearful, in the face of so many curled lips – to discuss my new passion, now I have people begging me for readings.

The tarot, for all its occult connections, its magical powers and scary-looking Death cards, has gone mainstream. Better yet, it’s fashionable.

A reading isn’t about telling the future, it’s about connecting with the present
Last year, New York’s The Week magazine ran a piece wondering: ‘Why is tarot crazy popular all of a sudden?’ US Vogue online offered a beginner’s guide to reading the cards, and The New York Times magazine The Cut went with: ‘How tarot became the trendiest party game’. When New York sneezes (so the saying goes), London catches a cold. In the UK, January’s Economist lined up eight tarot cards on its New Year cover to describe the outlook for the year ahead.

Why is tarot so ‘crazy popular’ now? Maybe, in the current angry climate, it’s not that surprising. The world is in upheaval, uncertainty abounds. Our 24-hour news flow constantly rams home the message that life as we know it is teetering on a cliff edge of anarchy and/or extinction.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/art...nable.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Accurate Reader louieboy 36 12,246 30-05-2019 08:17 PM
Last Post: Louieboy2
  Has anyone read recently with yona Farrell ? Private reader... jaks 10 3,410 11-04-2019 11:33 AM
Last Post: JulieS
  Tarot Reading guardeeana 0 325 13-12-2018 04:04 PM
Last Post: guardeeana
  A new generation follows the pack as tarot makes a comeback mecheeta 2 877 25-09-2018 07:14 AM
Last Post: jullybina
  The tarot revival thanks to Brexit, Trump and Dior mecheeta 1 522 28-08-2018 11:47 AM
Last Post: drstrange
Brick Tarot cards :) curiouscat 1 700 19-02-2018 07:32 PM
Last Post: Spiritual Beer Cans
  How accurate are the tarot? Ella Hardy 46 14,392 05-02-2018 06:38 AM
Last Post: Psychicphenomena1
  Free sample tarot reading rose123 0 564 18-08-2017 12:42 PM
Last Post: rose123
  Tarot sample reading rose123 1 692 10-07-2017 03:11 PM
Last Post: Lu1111
  Eddie - Tarot Insights PurpleShimmer3 34 7,822 20-08-2016 07:49 PM
Last Post: janaan