Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Helena Bonham Carter sought Princess Margaret's blessing through psychic
06-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Helena Bonham Carter sought Princess Margaret's blessing through psychic
Some actors avoid excessive research, but for Helena Bonham Carter to play Princess Margaret in The Crown meant reading all the biographies, talking to friends, ladies-in-waiting and relatives, and consulting an astrologer, a graphologist and a psychic.

The last meeting meant she could talk to the princess herself, the actor told Cheltenham literature festival.

“She said, apparently, she was glad it was me. My main thing when you play someone who is real, you kind of want their blessing because you have a responsibility.

“So I asked her: ‘Are you OK with me playing you?’ and she said: ‘You’re better than the other actress’ … that they were thinking of. They will not admit who it was. It was me and somebody else.

Advertisement
“That made me think maybe she is here, because that is a classic Margaret thing to say. She was really good at complimenting you and putting you down at the same time.

“Then she said: ‘But you’re going to have to brush up and be more groomed and neater.’ Then she said: ‘Get the smoking right. I smoked in a very particular way. Remember that – this is a big note – the cigarette holder was as much a weapon for expression as it was for smoking.’”

Bonham Carter is taking over the role in seasons three and four of The Crown from the Bafta-winning Vanessa Kirby. It’s “definitely daunting”, she said.

She went to Margaret’s inner circle: “Three ladies-in-waiting, a couple of relatives, a very close relative and some really close friends. They loved the woman and were very happy to talk about her because they miss her.”

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more
Bonham Carter said Margaret was a misunderstood and misinterpreted royal. People thought her “angry, rude and tough” but “she wasn’t tough at all, she was highly vulnerable and often attack is the best form of defence”.

She said Margaret was very much her father’s daughter, with his stammer and anxiety. “She smoked throughout her life and she drank. It was like she didn’t have the extra layer of skin.”

The actor’s interviewer, Emma Freud, told a story of meeting the princess at a drinks party shortly after having her first child and asking whether she wanted to see a photograph. Margaret said no.

Bonham Carter said she had learned that Margaret had an inability to dissemble. “She just couldn’t feign, which is an appalling lack when you are famous and you have to meet all these people. Whatever was in her head popped out of her mouth. She was like a time bomb.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019...p_WhatsApp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Shaman who has stolen Norway's Princess Martha's heart dormammu 0 243 19-05-2019 07:53 AM
Last Post: dormammu
  Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to have THREE children, Princess Diana psychic says dormammu 0 349 05-03-2019 06:48 AM
  Prince George is the 'REINCARNATION of Princess Diana' dormammu 0 319 02-03-2019 07:28 AM
  Meghan Markle thanked for recommending 'truly gifted PSYCHIC' in echoes of Princess D mecheeta 0 667 14-04-2018 07:54 AM
Last Post: mecheeta
  'Kate Middleton is having a girl on Saturday' spirit of Princess Diana tells clairvoy drstrange 0 1,055 20-04-2015 01:51 PM
Last Post: drstrange
  Submissions Sought Interested 3 1,130 07-10-2014 06:12 PM
Last Post: Interested