Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Genesis P-Orridge: Stormtrooper of the Future
10-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Genesis P-Orridge: Stormtrooper of the Future
What do you write about someone who has seen and done it all, been through hell and back, currently lives between heaven and hell, and has become an absolute legend in their lifetime? This is the challenge of profiling the prolific and transcendent Genesis Breyer P-Orridge, who has created 300 albums of genreless, but no less influential, music and art — both solo and in bands like Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV — since he/r teens, growing up in England.

I'm 30 years old, and identify as non-binary. S/he is 69, and has created he/r own category to encapsulate he/r singular experience of gender, called "pandrogeny." I want tattoos, but fear the pain of a needle. S/he not only has numerous tattoos, but has fearlessly gone under the knife so that s/he could become he/r late partner, the artist Lady Jaye. I have, thus far, been in love with one person that I hoped would last forever, and they could be dead for all I know. Though P-Orridge says Lady Jaye has "left he/r body," s/he was and remains the love of he/r life. P-Orridge even went to Benin, Africa to have Lady Jaye properly immortalized in the form of a figurine that s/he talks, consults, and prays with daily.

Though it may seem we have very little in common, P-Orridge and I are ultimately bonded by love — a religion so powerful, it works with or without faith.

---

Love is sacred, P-Orridge tells me, and s/he knows this because s/he lives it. There are many examples in art and culture supporting this idea, but even if it is promoted, how widely is it accepted, and then, actually practiced?

Queer musicians such as Olly Alexander have written songs about the sacrament of love like in Years & Years' "Sanctify." Lana Del Rey's entire discography is, by this point, an iconic, repetitive time-warp capturing the pitfalls and triumphs of practicing love as devotion. Reality shows from The Bachelor to Flavor of Love depict competitive, conditional love afforded by the monetary gain of its contestants. Spiritual guru Marianne Williamson teaches weekly courses based on the seminal A Course In Miracles text, in which she proffers the virtues of a much-needed — and much-lost — "return to love."

When P-Orridge was 17, s/he recorded he/r first album while enrolled at a West Midlands, England private school, and was enduring bullying. Back then, the music s/he made was "terrible," but it was an exorcism of personal demons. In art and the occult, s/he found a sacred calling, and the ability to express "exceptional revelations," to "inspire everyone else to understand themselves a bit better" — a type of love both selfless and, ultimately, unconditional.

https://www.papermag.com/genesis-p-orrid...61174.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2019, 06:51 AM
RE: Genesis P-Orridge: Stormtrooper of the Future
John Balance

In 1983, John Balance, who has died after a fall aged 42, founded, with his then partner, Peter Christophersen, the band Coil. The original collective, briefly called ZosKia, also featured Marc Almond on vocals, and John Gosling. Coil's first release was How To Destroy Angels (1984), 17 minutes of "ritual music for the accumulation of male sexual energy".
John and Peter turned Coil into a duo in 1984. Alongside Genesis P-Orridge and David Tibet, Coil became a focal point of an English avant garde music. John was also a member of Psychic TV, 23 Skidoo, Death In June, Current 93 and Nurse With Wound. Coil was the only band based around a gay male couple and they delighted in the "male sexual chemistry" this created. In the mid-1980s, gay pop was coming out of the closet, but Coil were the first resolutely queer group; their words dealt with desire, disease, dirt, death and drugs, and their collages sounded dark, dank and dangerous.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2004/de...obituaries
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply