Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WashPost: Astrology Is 'Self-Care' for Millennials
24-11-2019, 08:11 AM
WashPost: Astrology Is 'Self-Care' for Millennials
I recommend Washington Post articles about as often as I check my horoscope. But every once in a while the stars align … so I’ll say Maura Judkis’s Post piece on the astrology trend among young people is worth a look. Not for what it tells us about astrology, but what it says about millennials -- or a certain cohort of them.

Judkis, to her credit, approaches her topic as an amiable skeptic, acknowledging the silliness of “natal charts” talking to crystals and using the planets to help pick stocks.

“I mean, come on,” she wrote. “No one actually thinks that the stars and planets determine their personality.” She “realized why it seems like everyone’s so into astrology again, even if no one claims to believe in it, and it isn’t real: It’s kind of like psychotherapy plus magic.” If only her skepticism of the magic extended to the psychotherapy -- or the delicate little cupcakes so in need of it.

Astrology is big with the “millennial self-care set,” as Judkis called them. “Self-care” used to be known as solipsism, navel-gazing, self-obsession, or just plain narcissism. But today it’s positively a virtue that has spawned what Judkis calls “the wellness industry,” and she says astrology is as integral to it as “vitamins, yoga or a spa treatment.”

Judkis said that people who check four horoscopes a day or spend $19.99 a month to “summon an astrologer for a 15-minute text message reading” (really) “aren’t trying to predict the future — they see it as a tool for self-discovery and emotional exploration.”

Ross Clark, CEO of the astrology app Sanctuary, told her, “Astrology is this incredible way of looking at a story about you.”

So it’s just another selfie for the selfie-obsessed. The owner of an astrology meme site said astrology “gets people to talk about their personality and their emotions and life experiences in a way that they usually wouldn’t.” It “makes expressing your feelings ‘kind of a game.’”

Ah! It’s all about the feelz! One user told Judkis,“When it’s right, it feels really interesting and kind of weird and magical. And if it’s totally wrong, it’s just something to laugh about.”

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cultur...illennials
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Should Astrology Be Part Of Your Wellness Survival Kit? mecheeta 0 202 15-04-2020 06:56 AM
Last Post: mecheeta
  What Is The Difference Between Astrology And Horoscopes? Mediums Now 8 740 04-04-2020 01:16 PM
Last Post: alexmegan
  The New Age of Astrology dormammu 0 349 16-01-2020 07:33 AM
Last Post: dormammu
  Astrology 2020: What do the stars have in store for you this year? dormammu 0 373 15-01-2020 06:48 AM
  Star gazing: why millennials are turning to astrology dormammu 0 271 23-12-2019 06:46 AM
  How app culture turned astrology into a modern obsession mecheeta 0 289 21-11-2019 07:09 AM
Last Post: mecheeta
  The Psychology of Why People Believe in Astrology Mediums Now 0 500 09-07-2019 06:52 AM
Last Post: Mediums Now